• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where to spend Fighter skill points- what do you think are good skills for a fighter?

green slime

First Post
Swim. With your Strength, and a maxed out Swim, You'll be swimming against raging taorrents in your Adamantine Full Plate in no time.

Jump. Because it is cool. And with that Strength and a ring of jumping you have a leaping half dragon in full plate that can get anyway on the battlefield, quickly and easily.

Then you can choose from Spot, Listen, or Balance. Unfortunately you can't afford all.

RedSwan78

First Post
Hmm, thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming :)

I'm looking at keeping some of my languages, maybe all of them. Also something I didn't mention, because I didn't want it to taint your decisions, is that my group plays with a house-rule: Spot and Listen are class skills for everyone :D So I'll probably be keeping those skills as well. (Even though they *are* Wisdom based.. hehe. As for the Iron Will question, it doesn't really fit into what I have planned for him.. I know it's my weak-spot, but that's good, it creats flavour :D Besides, it gives something for my DM to throw at me because he thinks I'm ultra-powerful as is.. hehe. I have Knockdown, so things end up on their ass alot around me :D I also picked up the feat from the DragonMag, Kick 'Em While They're Down.. so even when they try to stand up, they still end up on their ass :D )

Sorry, went off on a tangent.. lol.

So right now I'm looking at: Spot and Listen for sure. After that it's a toss-up between jump, climb and swim, and/or more languages :D I DO get 5 skill points per lvl, so I *could* do Spot, Listen, Jump, Climb, and Swim every lvl.. doesn't leave me with room for anything else really though.. hehe

As for Tumble, I recently became aware of the fact that I think alot of people forget about. In the Tumble description it says you can NOT use Tumble if you are wearing Armor that has reduced your speed. I plan on going for Mithral Full Plate :D Why yes.. yes I *do* like sleeping in my Full Plate :D So, I'll have an armor check penalty of either -2 for MW Mithral Full Plate, or -3 if my group decides to change it's stance on weather or not Mithral can be made MW or not.. please, this is *not* the thread to discuss that issue in, there's another one here on the front page already to talk about it in ;) I just included the ACP incase it would make any decisions about what skills you would think about suggesting/getting.

So that's kind of what I'm looking at. Can anyone suggest any better/more useful languages to look at? Do you think Giant is worth having as a language? Also, any Crafts or Proffessions?

Demon Knight

First Post
Don't bother with Profession. It's cross-classed for fighters. You won't have a good enough skill check to make that much cash.

*watches the flood of people race for their PHB*

Endur

First Post
Make sure you have at least one rank of Swim. You need that first rank so that you can take 10 on your swim checks.

After that, Listen/Spot/Sense Motive are musts, even if they are cross-class. These are the skills that are used the most for probably every character.

After those three, take whatever you like.

Tom

Chun-tzu

First Post
RedSwan78 said:
In the Tumble description it says you can NOT use Tumble if you are wearing Armor that has reduced your speed. I plan on going for Mithral Full Plate :D

Mithil full plate would be medium armor, not light armor. Medium armor still reduces speed, so no tumbling. So if you're planning on wearing heavy armor, put your skill points somewhere else.

RedSwan78

First Post
Chun-tzu said:

Mithil full plate would be medium armor, not light armor. Medium armor still reduces speed, so no tumbling. So if you're planning on wearing heavy armor, put your skill points somewhere else.

That was pretty much the point that I was making ;) Sorry if it wasn't too clear.. hehe.

Hmm, game time in 2 hours.. have to decide before then... :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads