D&D 4E Where was 4e headed before it was canned?

Ratskinner

Adventurer
Adults - > I need everything to be "realistic"

I'm reminded of an episode a few years ago where the two civil engineers in our group just couldn't accept that a certain structure had a foot of water on the ground. We had a conversation similar to Rygel and Sikozu in the Farscape episode "I Shrink Therefore I Am":

Sikozu: That's it. This can't be happening.
Rygel: (tiredly) It can't can it?
Sikozu: No. Reduction in size by reducing the number of atoms would leave our brains to simple to function.
Rygel: So? Maybe they just made all our atoms smaller.
Sikozu: But then we couldn't breath normal-sized air molecules! Don't you see? No. This can't be happening because its not possible!
Rygel: Your brain isn't functioning! Do you think this is all an hallucination? Do you like that explanation better?
Sikozu: No, but I simply cannot understand...
Rygel: NEITHER CAN I.....Who cares? We're here, they did it, and that's that. You consider yourself intelligent?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yeah, you're not using this the same way I used it.
I was talking about collaboration between players and DMs.
You are talking about a game mechanic.
The whole process can be a collaborative storytelling effort with the game being a tool. So I am talking about the tool for helping that collaboration. I am talking how mechanics becomes an enabler in the process of making/enabling/justifying the awesome happening.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The whole process can be a collaborative storytelling effort with the game being a tool. So I am talking about the tool for helping that collaboration. I am talking how mechanics becomes an enabler in the process of making/enabling/justifying the awesome happening.

I can say from personal experience that the 5E tool set is very easy to use for that purpose while inebriated.

Remove ads