Level Up (A5E) Which A5e Heritage is your favorite?

My favorite heritage in A5e would have to be the Dragonborn. I became a fan of them when they were first introduced as a PC race in 4e D&D several years ago, and decided to play an O5e Dragonborn fighter when a friend of mine invited me into his role-playing group last June. I was okay with the O5e Dragonborn having just the breath weapon and resistance. At the same time, however, I was well aware that the Dragonborn were a bit underwhelming compared to the other O5e races.

The A5e Dragonborn are significantly better than their O5e counterpart in a number of ways. 1) You can choose to be a Chromatic, an Essence, a Gem or a Metallic Dragonborn. 2) You can choose which Damage type and Area of Effect you would like to have for your breath weapon. 3) You can choose one of three gifts- Draconic Armor, Draconic Fins and Draconic Wings. And 4) depending on which of the four kinds of Dragonborn you picked for your character, you gain even more benefits if you picked either the Dragonbound or the Dragoncult cultures.

Of the three Draconic gifts being offered in the Adventurer's Guide book, the best would have to be Draconic Armor. It gives you natural weapons, resistance to the Damage type of your breath weapon and natural armor (which is perfect IMO if you are DEX based combatant or a spellcaster) at 1st level. And by 10th level, your resistance turns into an immunity. ;)

So which is your favorite A5e Heritage? It can be from the Adventurer's Guide or the Zeitgeist setting. ;)

Last edited:

from the adventurer's guide (and overall) i think i actually have to go with human. most of their gifts are great and those that aren't are just decent. i also like the flavouring of humans as less "jack of all trades" (though they do still have an element of that) and more "man literally too spiteful to die". i always love that view of humanity.

i don't care for the zeitgeist heritages as much (which is ironic because that's a big reason why i originally bought it), but out of all of them i think the kobold would probably be my favourite. i like playing kobolds, and being able to hide as a reaction even without cover is CRAZY - i am just a little disappointed o5e pack tactics wasn't a paragon gift option though (lol), and close quarters is...shall we say, uh...niche?...i have literally no idea how you're supposed to trigger the advantage, which kind of sucks since it's the only gift you can get if you don't want wings. that all said, i'd also be more then happy to play a lizardfolk, if only to use the coldly calculating feature to be able to say "this wisdom save got me acting unwise".

SakanaSensei

Adventurer
I'ma cheat real quick and just say I love how easy it is to make bi-racial characters in the system. 3 of my 5 players in my current campaign went with halfling-tiefling, human-tiefling and halfling-gnome, and they liked picking and choosing.

I'ma cheat real quick and just say I love how easy it is to make bi-racial characters in the system. 3 of my 5 players in my current campaign went with halfling-tiefling, human-tiefling and halfling-gnome, and they liked picking and choosing.
everybody gangsta til somebody roll up with the dwarfbold

Remove ads