• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Which classes have the least identity?

Which classes have the least identity?

• Artificer

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • Barbarian

Votes: 17 10.8%
  • Bard

Votes: 12 7.6%
  • Cleric

Votes: 14 8.9%
  • Druid

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Fighter

Votes: 59 37.6%
  • Monk

Votes: 17 10.8%
  • Paladin

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Ranger

Votes: 39 24.8%
  • Rogue

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Warlock

Votes: 19 12.1%
  • Wizard

Votes: 36 22.9%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 69 43.9%

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Being able to come up with lots of examples is a marker of a weak identity, not a strong one.

Identity is rooted in specificity. "American" is a weak identity, "New Yorker" is a little stronger, "24 year old barista raised in Alphabet City" is very strong.

Note that for classes, which are intended to be used for a broader group of characters, too strong of an identity is absolutely a weakness. Fighter's lack of identity is a strength if you want to have a class capable of representing a very broad swathe of somewhat-related characters.

As a Non-American I have no idea how a Barista from North Dakota differs to Waitress from Nevada - those identities are meaningless subcategories. I absolutely know what an American is however

Last edited:

Why bother. Just make them point buy whatever features they want at that point.
Which would be better. Or some hybrid system, like 4 roles - meele, skill, support, control - with thigns they get each level and then on top of that things you buy or select to custom-made your character. you wanan be a meele wizard or support fighter, you can.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
As a Non-American I have no idea how a Barista from North Dakota differs to Waitress from Nevada - those identities are meaningless subcategories. I absolutely know what an American is however
Identity has two major characteristics; how recognizable it is and how distinct it is.

"Recognizable" is also not a synonym for "strong". A strong identity is both distinct and recognizable.

It's no accident that the two classes with the least votes, Druid and Paladin, are classes that have strongly recognizable features, and are also very easy to determine whether any character does or does not belong to the class, i.e., they are quite distinctive.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Identity has two major characteristics; how recognizable it is and how distinct it is.

"Recognizable" is also not a synonym for "strong". A strong identity is both distinct and recognizable.

It's no accident that the two classes with the least votes, Druid and Paladin, are classes that have strongly recognizable features, and are also very easy to determine whether any character does or does not belong to the class, i.e., they are quite distinctive.
yeah thats probably where my further comment comes in

Due to TV and films New Yorker is both recognizable and distinct, whiles also being a major component of American "Yankee" Identity. "New Yorker" v "American" is probably akin to Barbarian v Fighter :) - Barbarian is quite obviously a Fighter derived martial, with some clearly identifiable distinctiveness. Conversely "Kid from Queens" is too narrow from a class concept (but a cool character trait)

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
This is an excellent example of the difference between an identity ("American") and a niche ("barista.")
yeah thats probably where my further comment comes in

Due to TV and films New Yorker is both recognizable and distinct, whiles also being a major component of American "Yankee" Identity. "New Yorker" v "American" is probably akin to Barbarian v Fighter :) - Barbarian is quite obviously a Fighter derived martial, with some clearly identifiable distinctiveness. Conversely "Kid from Queens" is too narrow from a class concept (but a cool character trait)
Sure. Like I said in an earlier post, having too strong of an identity isn't actually good for a character class. "Class" needs to be a category; having too strong an identity is essentially narrowing down to a specific individual.

MGibster

Legend
We are aarakocra of course.

America.JPG

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads