D&D 5E Which Classic Settings do you think WotC will publish?

Which (up to) Four Settings Do You Think WotC Will Publish (in 2021-24)?

• Blackmoor

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 35 24.3%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 88 61.1%
  • Forgotten Realms - Faerun only

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • Forgotten Realms - Other (beyond Faerun)

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Mystara (with or without Hollow World)

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 87 60.4%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • Planescape

Votes: 46 31.9%
  • Planescape/Spelljammer Hybrid (in some form or fashion)

Votes: 58 40.3%
  • Birthright

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Council of Wyrms

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Jakandor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ghostlight

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nentir Vale/Nerath ("Points of Light")

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Kara-Tur (as separate from FR)

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Other/None/I'm Being Difficult

Votes: 7 4.9%

Kara-Tur and Al-Qadim are possible, but they will be need a lot of work to be enoughly politically correct.

* One of the keys of "Councyl of Wyrms" is PC dragons, and since 3rd Ed there weren't monster classes any more.

* The Gatetowns from Planescaped could be the middle zone between this and Spelljammer.

Maybe WotC choses a reboot of all the crystal spheres of Spelljammer, to allow more space for new PC races and monsters. Spelljammer was created to be a transitional setting between the different lines, but now there are only Forgotten Realms, Eberron, now Ravenloft, and the ones from Magic: the Gathering. It would be easier to add monsters and PC races in a planar handbook.

Last edited:

Mercurius

Legend
Just based on my gut feelings, I present the Jakandor Scale, based on the M:tG Rabiah Scale...

Blackmoor​
10​
Greyhawk​
4​
Dragonlance​
1​
Forgotten Realms - Faerun only​
6​
Forgotten Realms - Other (beyond Faerun)​
9​
Mystara (with or without Hollow World)​
7​
Dark Sun​
3​
Spelljammer​
5​
Planescape​
2​
Planescape/Spelljammer Hybrid (in some form or fashion)​
7​
Birthright​
8​
Council of Wyrms​
9​
Jakandor​
10​
Ghostwalk​
10​
Nentir Vale/Nerath ("Points of Light")​
8​
Kara-Tur (as separate from FR)​
10​
I like it, even if I would quibble with some things.

Here's a translation of the vote so far, through 79 votes. I'm grading on a curve.

1 Dark Sun, Dragonlance
2 Planescape, Planescape/Spelljammer Hybrid
3 Forgotten Realms - Faerun
4 Greyhawk
5 Spelljammer
6 NA
7 Nentir Vale, Forgotten Realms - Other
8 Mystara
9 Birthright, Council of Wyrms, Kara-Tur
10 Jakandor, Ghostwalk

Or something like that.

Mercurius

Legend
I'm starting to think that I shouldn't have put a cap on votes, or at least upped it to 5 or 6. After reading through the thread, I'm convinced that DL is more likely than GH, but on the other hand I think it quite likely that they do something with GH for the 50th.

Dark Sun and Planescape (in some form or fashion, with or without Spelljammer) seem like locks. Dragonlance and Greyhawk seem likely. Faerun...maybe. I'm not convinced that SCAGS and expansion via story arcs really cuts it, but I don't see people wildly clamoring for it, although wouldn't know where to look. It would be interesting for WotC to take a poll and see how much interest there is, as I'm wondering if the new breed really want it, or if they're fine with the story arc approach.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I like it, even if I would quibble with some things.

Here's a translation of the vote so far, through 79 votes. I'm grading on a curve.

1 Dark Sun, Dragonlance
2 Planescape, Planescape/Spelljammer Hybrid
3 Forgotten Realms - Faerun
4 Greyhawk
5 Spelljammer
6 NA
7 Nentir Vale, Forgotten Realms - Other
8 Mystara
9 Birthright, Council of Wyrms, Kara-Tur
10 Jakandor, Ghostwalk

Or something like that.

It's kind of hard to tell how popular Planescape/Spelljammer are when they are split over three different groups. If you split the Spelljammer/Planescape book into two, Spelljammer has 33 votes and Planescape has 43 votes, putting them firmly in a second tier behind Dark Sun and Dragonlance.

And if you combine all their votes into one group, they have 76 votes, making it the most popular setting here.

Mercurius

Legend
Anyway, I think Forgotten Realms holds a very unique place in 5E as being the focus of the annual adventures, and ever since Tomb of Annihilation, the strategy for these annual books is to focus on a specific region of FR. Chult, Waterdeep, Baldur's Gate, and Icewind Dale. I fully expect the next adventure book to do the exact same thing. Maybe eventually they'll come around to doing a new setting book, but considering how recent setting books (Theros, Ravenloft), seem to be "Want to play D&D but different?" style books, I think they'll keep exploring that side. Meaning, books like Dragonlance, Dark Sun, Planescape, maybe even Spelljammer and Birthright are morel likely to happen before another Forgotten Realms book.
This is a really good point. What would be the most likely reigions? My guess is either Dalelands/Cormanthor or Moonshaes, due to the fey stuff. But I could see them doing a desert setting, either Anauroch or Raurin (Desert of Desolation), or maybe Calimshan. There's been rumors of Lantan for awhile, but I don't know if that's just wishful thinking.

On the other hand, they might save the desert for Dark Sun in 2022 or 2023.

It's worth noting that the "Setting book as Genre booster pack" approach isn't new with Ravenloft, that started with Ravnica (as described by Crawford at the time), and continued in Eberron and Theros. Those books are all more about creating Adventure material that goes into a different narrative space than the DMG default.
+Acquisitions Inc.

Mercurius

Legend
It's kind of hard to tell how popular Planescape/Spelljammer are when they are split over three different groups. If you split the Spelljammer/Planescape book into two, Spelljammer has 33 votes and Planescape has 43 votes, putting them firmly in a second tier behind Dark Sun and Dragonlance.

And if you combine all their votes into one group, they have 76 votes, making it the most popular setting here.
When I added PS/SJ hybrid, I was thinking PS dominant, SJ secondary - which is how I think they'll do it - but I'm not sure people are reading it that way. But the point being, I might split the vote something like 60/40 or 70/30 in favor of PS. Maybe not fair, but given the relatively popularity of the two (28/18), I think about two-thirds of that vote would favor PS over SJ.

I'm starting to think that I shouldn't have put a cap on votes, or at least upped it to 5 or 6. After reading through the thread, I'm convinced that DL is more likely than GH, but on the other hand I think it quite likely that they do something with GH for the 50th.

Dark Sun and Planescape (in some form or fashion, with or without Spelljammer) seem like locks. Dragonlance and Greyhawk seem likely. Faerun...maybe. I'm not convinced that SCAGS and expansion via story arcs really cuts it, but I don't see people wildly clamoring for it, although wouldn't know where to look. It would be interesting for WotC to take a poll and see how much interest there is, as I'm wondering if the new breed really want it, or if they're fine with the story arc approach.
I wouldn't say any poll here is a useful indicator of what WotC are actually likely to do. And you explicitly ruled out adventures and boxed sets. And what about the Feywild? I think that has been done before, so could count as a classic setting.

Urriak Uruk

This is a really good point. What would be the most likely reigions? My guess is either Dalelands/Cormanthor or Moonshaes, due to the fey stuff. But I could see them doing a desert setting, either Anauroch or Raurin (Desert of Desolation), or maybe Calimshan. There's been rumors of Lantan for awhile, but I don't know if that's just wishful thinking.

On the other hand, they might save the desert for Dark Sun in 2022 or 2023.

Yeah I essentially agree those regions are the most likely to be explored in Adventures, though I might add regions like Cormyr or Amn for speculation as they've been popular in previous editions. At this point though, I really have no idea.

Urriak Uruk

When I added PS/SJ hybrid, I was thinking PS dominant, SJ secondary - which is how I think they'll do it - but I'm not sure people are reading it that way. But the point being, I might split the vote something like 60/40 or 70/30 in favor of PS. Maybe not fair, but given the relatively popularity of the two (28/18), I think about two-thirds of that vote would favor PS over SJ.

I definitely agree that most people are probably picking that mix as Planescape-forward, Spelljammer secondary, but it's impossible to know the balance. I think if the mixed option wasn't here, Planescape would actually be first, then Dark Sun and Dragonlance, with Spelljammer, Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms somewhere close behind.

Remove ads