• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Which Classic Settings do you think WotC will publish?

Which (up to) Four Settings Do You Think WotC Will Publish (in 2021-24)?

• Blackmoor

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 35 24.3%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 88 61.1%
  • Forgotten Realms - Faerun only

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • Forgotten Realms - Other (beyond Faerun)

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Mystara (with or without Hollow World)

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 87 60.4%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • Planescape

Votes: 46 31.9%
  • Planescape/Spelljammer Hybrid (in some form or fashion)

Votes: 58 40.3%
  • Birthright

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Council of Wyrms

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Jakandor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ghostlight

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nentir Vale/Nerath ("Points of Light")

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Kara-Tur (as separate from FR)

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Other/None/I'm Being Difficult

Votes: 7 4.9%

Mercurius

Legend
Yeah I essentially agree those regions are the most likely to be explored in Adventures, though I might add regions like Cormyr or Amn for speculation as they've been popular in previous editions. At this point though, I really have no idea.
I would think any treatment of Amn would be folded in with Calimshan and Tethyr; likewise with Cormyr/Dalelands/Sembia. But, yeah, no idea.
I definitely agree that most people are probably picking that mix as Planescape-forward, Spelljammer secondary, but it's impossible to know the balance. I think if the mixed option wasn't here, Planescape would actually be first, then Dark Sun and Dragonlance, with Spelljammer, Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms somewhere close behind.
Yes, agreed.

I think, also, that such a poll will inevitably be biased towards what people want to see. I know that I had to struggle with my own biases, in that regard.

Other: They'll want to push new settings rather than classic ones.

1. Far too many old setting have stuff in them that would be problematic today but are core to the setting's identity or structure. Things that, if left in, will cause bad press, but if removed will kill the nostalgia value. Brand-new settings can work in whatever new ideas / changes they want.

2. MtG is much more popular the DnD (for now), so those settings will bring in more potential readers, while allowing cross-marketing. It's just better use of the IP they own.

Of the classics, though: Dark Sun, some sort of planar-focused hybrid (at least Planescape and Spelljammer), and probably more FR.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I like it, even if I would quibble with some things.

Here's a translation of the vote so far, through 79 votes. I'm grading on a curve.

1 Dark Sun, Dragonlance
2 Planescape, Planescape/Spelljammer Hybrid
3 Forgotten Realms - Faerun
4 Greyhawk
5 Spelljammer
6 NA
7 Nentir Vale, Forgotten Realms - Other
8 Mystara
9 Birthright, Council of Wyrms, Kara-Tur
10 Jakandor, Ghostwalk

Or something like that.
Well, it's interesting that this matches up with WotC official Big Data results.

I don't think they will do a "Planejammer," given enough time a weird gonzo space fantasy genre booster ala HeMan and other 80's kids cartoon set in Wild Space does make sense.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I would think any treatment of Amn would be folded in with Calimshan and Tethyr; likewise with Cormyr/Dalelands/Sembia. But, yeah, no idea.

Yes, agreed.

I think, also, that such a poll will inevitably be biased towards what people want to see. I know that I had to struggle with my own biases, in that regard.
I expect every region of FR will get an Adventure eventually. That's why they don't need an FRCS.

Mercurius

Legend
I expect every region of FR will get an Adventure eventually. That's why they don't need an FRCS.
"Need," sure. But that could apply to any number of producs. My question is, why wouldn't they? Especially if every story is set in a region and the bulk of players are new to D&D with 5E. Why not publish a product that ties it all together?

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I picked Faerun (which is obvious IMO), Dragonlance (which seems very likely), Dark Sun, and Spelljammer.

Though TBH, if they opt for a kitchen-sink "high fantasy's version of Dark Sun I'm frankly not interested. But what I've seen of the new Ravenloft book makes me very worried that shoehorning high fantasy into everything is their current MO.

I don't think they'll ever publish a Greyhawk setting book again. Another Faerun book should happen sooner or later. Planescape is kind of legendary and has its own ethos, so that's my vote for what we'll see eventually.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
"Need," sure. But that could apply to any number of producs. My question is, why wouldn't they? Especially if every story is set in a region and the bulk of players are new to D&D with 5E. Why not publish a product that ties it all together?

I largely believe that the D&D team thinks Forgotten Realms is too big to tackle in one book. After all, they were able to give the Sword Coast a book entirely it's own, and have proven they can write sizeable gazetteers for just a single city. And looking at how Zakhara or Kara-tur got their own books in previous editions, I think the D&D team just finds that a setting book of the entirety of FR would be covering too wide a swathe of area, when they would rather go deep of many books.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I largely believe that the D&D team thinks Forgotten Realms is too big to tackle in one book. After all, they were able to give the Sword Coast a book entirely it's own, and have proven they can write sizeable gazetteers for just a single city. And looking at how Zakhara or Kara-tur got their own books in previous editions, I think the D&D team just finds that a setting book of the entirety of FR would be covering too wide a swathe of area, when they would rather go deep of many books.
I have always wondered about how they should go about expanding setting with books given their cap per year.

Remove ads