D&D 5E Which Classic Settings do you think WotC will publish?

Which (up to) Four Settings Do You Think WotC Will Publish (in 2021-24)?

• Blackmoor

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 35 24.3%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 88 61.1%
  • Forgotten Realms - Faerun only

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • Forgotten Realms - Other (beyond Faerun)

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Mystara (with or without Hollow World)

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 87 60.4%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • Planescape

Votes: 46 31.9%
  • Planescape/Spelljammer Hybrid (in some form or fashion)

Votes: 58 40.3%
  • Birthright

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Council of Wyrms

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Jakandor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ghostlight

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nentir Vale/Nerath ("Points of Light")

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Kara-Tur (as separate from FR)

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Other/None/I'm Being Difficult

Votes: 7 4.9%

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
They've done it before in past editions. and they can afford to give it a larger page count now with the larger audience. The key is to focus on the basic practical information for the current era and a good solid map (seriously this hugely important a good map of Faerun conveys so much information).

I know they can, I just think they won't. They seem happy with releasing gazetteers every year with each edition, and considering how little they've mentioned the SCAG (which is technically their first setting book) it seems they've decided that the gazetteer approach is the one they'll stick with. Their recent setting books all seem tailored to tackle a specific niche of fantasy that isn't explored in 5E, and Forgotten Realms reflects "the basic D&D experience" so much I highly doubt they'll ever give it another setting book in 5E.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I think a revamped Tal'Dorei makes a lot of sense, although Critical Role, which is publishing more of their own stuff now, doesn't need to go through Green Ronin or WotC to get it done.

Honestly, I think Critical Role probably won't do Tal'Dorei for exactly this reason; it's already available for purchase, so why remake it? I think they'd rather work on different stuff.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Honestly, I think Critical Role probably won't do Tal'Dorei for exactly this reason; it's already available for purchase, so why remake it? I think they'd rather work on different stuff.
We'll see. They're extremely savvy business people. I expect there's a limit on how many copies or how many years Green Ronin can keep it in print. Then they can Kickstart a second edition and break the Internet again and contract out most of the work of updating it to hired guns.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
We'll see. They're extremely savvy business people. I expect there's a limit on how many copies or how many years Green Ronin can keep it in print. Then they can Kickstart a second edition and break the Internet again and contract out most of the work of updating it to hired guns.
It's already out of print.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I know they can, I just think they won't. They seem happy with releasing gazetteers every year with each edition, and considering how little they've mentioned the SCAG (which is technically their first setting book) it seems they've decided that the gazetteer approach is the one they'll stick with. Their recent setting books all seem tailored to tackle a specific niche of fantasy that isn't explored in 5E, and Forgotten Realms reflects "the basic D&D experience" so much I highly doubt they'll ever give it another setting book in 5E.
I mean, they don't need to mention SCAG, they just keep selling it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Stormonu

Legend
Cleaning up the problematic elements of Dragonlance would make the freak-out over Ravenloft being updated to 2021 standards look mild in comparison. And I remain unconvinced there's a big modern audience for Dragonlance. Today's fantasy fans are reading Game of Thrones, Harry Potter and a thousand other things. Dragonlance isn't even in the conversation nowadays. Whom WotC would be chasing with this product, I have no idea. That said, both TSR and WotC (via a license) seem determined that there is an audience out there.

I think Dragonlance could be sold as the "young person's"/PG-13 Game of Thrones. If there were a reboot, I strongly suspect we'd see even younger Heroes of the Lance, in the 19-20's range - at the time DL originally came out, the characters were younger-looking than most other adventurer depictions, especially Raistlin, who wasn't some 50-year-old or so bearded wizard.

The same crowd that "discovers" that Rage Against the Machine is political every year or so would absolutely lose their minds when a 2021/2022 Dark Sun setting leans into the climate change and social justice themes that were there since the beginning and would almost certainly be doubled down upon now.

Which, of course, would also make it sell gangbusters to Gen Z gamers.

If you really want to go gangbusters with young people, bringing back Playboy tracings will do more for you than seeking the coveted Middle School Principal Seal of Approval. Bowlderization has more to do with corporate risk aversion than consumer demand.

Remove ads