D&D 5E Which common monsters/creature types do you exclude from your campaigns?

No orcs. What started as a different name for goblins in LotR quickly became an entire species by itself, and I find it both redundant and annoying. Goblins have much more mythological and folkloric cache than orcs, plus more variety. I still like having my folkore-inspired goblins lean towards evil/chaos but having players run into neutral or sometimes good ones.

Wait, I just thought of one instance where I'll use orcs: When they are the pig-face creatures of old D&D and look like the Gammoran guards from Return of the Jedi. That's different enough for me to use them (and is pretty cool IMO).

Voadam

Legend
That doesnt look like a gun though :)
Look again. Holstered on the hip. :)

Here is a better resolution of the cover.

1654786217238.png

And from inside

1654786286493.png
1654786308715.png
1654786333441.png

Last edited:

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
I was thinking about orcs and their evolution throughout D&D. We went from pig faced to neanderthalesque.
From this:
pigorc.jpg

To this:
5eorc.jpeg

Why didn't we go to this:
LordCarverBMMDEsq.jpg

I know Warhammer greenskins and Warcraft pushed D&D along the bestial man path, but boar men are just so much more fun and are not confused as an offshoot of goblins.

Laurefindel

Legend
Just went through all my homebrewed content (40 different campaigns in 11 settings) and I only found one actual dragon so I guess that is one I exclude lol.

Why did I buy fizban...oh the elder brain dragon that's right....
Same here. I always reserve dragons for the big bad, or a really meaningful encounter… I might have use one, once…

Remove ads