• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Which D&D 3.5 Core Base Class is the Most Powerful (Prepared Casters Excluded)?

Which of the following D&D 3.5 Core Base Classes is the Most Powerful?

• Barbarian

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Bard

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Fighter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monk

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Paladin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ranger

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Rogue

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 40 72.7%

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
The question as asked seems far too wide to be meaningful.

There's no answer across "levels 1-20". A sorcerer (the far leader in the poll) as 1-3 is inferior to just about every other class out there. Also it varies a lot on the DM/campaign - high or low wealth/magic, method to roll stats (some classes are more MAD), option to get specific magic items or just what's found, lot of higher level creatures (so harder saves to overcome) or more on-level foes? Are we considering the character as a solo adventurer or with reasonable support and others to fill in their weaknesses?

Also a lot of people mention prestige classes - are we considering just 20 levels of the core class or also PrCs and multiclassing?

I voted sorcerer, but if I was playing a campaign that never expected to get past 5-6th they'd be one of the weaker ones.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I tend to agree, [MENTION=6689464]KaiiLurker[/MENTION]. Knowstones are pretty broken and I don't think we can assume most DMs allow them. Rapid Metamagic is not a huge problem as sorcerers are a feat-deprived class. I think most sorcerers would prefer a few metamagic rods to taking the Rapid Metamagic feat.

I would say that sorcerers and bards get about the same out of Leadership (after all both have great incentives to maximize Charisma). However, bards are not as dependent upon metamagic feats to maximize their power, and have more flexibility in what they can choose as feats, so bards are probably more likely to take the Leadership feat. If Leadership is allowed in the campaign, then I would rather be a bard with a sorcerer cohort than a sorcerer with a bard cohort.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
The question as asked seems far too wide to be meaningful.
I think I was pretty clear about the style of campaign we are talking about, but I'll address some of your questions in-line.

There's no answer across "levels 1-20". A sorcerer (the far leader in the poll) as 1-3 is inferior to just about every other class out there.
Evaluate the survivability of a character over the duration of a campaign that goes from level 1 to level 20. Perhaps think of this as comparing all levels and averaging the results.
Also it varies a lot on the DM/campaign - high or low wealth/magic
As stated in the OP, standard wealth as per the DMG and medium fantasy so the availability of magic should correspond roughly to the DMG guidelines for magic item availability per community.
method to roll stats (some classes are more MAD)
Also addressed: 25-32 point buy or standard stat roll method (4d6, drop lowest).
option to get specific magic items or just what's found
Again, standard DMG guidelines for medium fantasy.
lot of higher level creatures (so harder saves to overcome) or more on-level foes?
Assume the DM is following the guidelines for assortment of encounter level in the DMG.
Are we considering the character as a solo adventurer or with reasonable support and others to fill in their weaknesses?
A small party consisting of no more than four characters.
Also a lot of people mention prestige classes - are we considering just 20 levels of the core class or also PrCs and multiclassing?
Again, core-only or mostly core. If you feel certain options are pretty ubiquitous (for example if you notice most every DM in your experience is allowing Complete series PrCs then include them in your analysis.

I think you didn't read very thoroughly, but hopefully that clears things up.

Remove ads