• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which D&D Campaign World did you enjoy most?

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
For me it's either Planescape or good ol' Greyhawk. I've enjoyed the Planescape games I've played in more BUT have a lot of love for the old girl (Greyhawk).

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Al-Qadim, hands down for play and DM. Very culture-rich, interesting classes, and a great rang of possibilities, from exploring ancient ruins to adventures on the high seas. Really captured the flavor of the old Sinbad and Jason and the Argonauts films - but grittier. Cities of Bone remains one of my favorite supplements. Also very accommodating for classic adventures such as the Desert of Desolation series, Isle of Dread, The Lost City, Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, and The Forbidden City. Even ran Necropolis and Tomb of Horrors out of that setting.

Planscape was awesome for reading. Planes of Conflict remains on of my favorite campaign supplements.

A Passing Maniac

First Post
The settings that stray from traditional western high fantasy have always appealed to me the most. Once I got into things like Planescape, Eberron, and Dark Sun, I never looked back. In fact, those settings are my top three, probably in that order. I also like the sound of Spelljammer and Al-Qadim, but have never read much about either of them.

Settings like the Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, and Dragonlance have just never done much for me or my players.

Banshee16

First Post
1-Planescape
2-Dragonlance
3-Dark Sun
4-Birthright
5-Forgotten Realms

Pretty much in that order. Al-Qadim was awesome too. The main settings I didn't care for were Spelljammer, Greyhawk, and Ravenloft. And with Ravenloft, I thought the setting was cool. I could just never find players willing to play in it.

Birthright I'd almost put as #2, what with the "feel" of the world. It clicked in a way the others didn't. however, I didn't get a lot of chances to play in it, so all I can go by is how much I loved the source material.

Midnight has to go somewhere in there as well. It's my favourite non-WotC setting.

And Swashbuckling Adventures/7th Sea. One of the best moments in gaming (for me) in the last several years was the first time the players participated in a ship to ship battle with pirates, swinging from one ship's deck to the other, raiding the gun deck, tripping people off the ship, to let them fall and be crunched between the two hulls, etc.

That campaign had an entirely different flavour than regular D&D.

Banshee

Last edited:

dvvega

Explorer
For me ...

Greyhawk - it was the first campaign setting I saved up for and bought at the ripe age of 11. It was the boxed version and it had just appeared in the local store I bought my D&D stuff at. Back then it was hard to find stuff for me in Austrlaia. It also just went along with most of the fantasy/medieval traditions I had read about and expected.

Ravenloft. If run well. My players would jump and run for the door if any mist appeared in my games which prevented me from running very much Ravenloft but when Masque of the Red Death came out I was able to play Gaslight games with players starting in the realm.

Al-Qadim and Maztica have got to be up there with the flavour of everything. They were well thought out and since I loved the Arabian Nights when I was a kid and I have a connection to the Aztec/Mayan cultures (albeit far removed). I know they're technically Forgotten Realms add ons but I dislike Forgotten Realms but these are great.

Freeport finds its way into this list although it is smaller than most. Maybe it was just the DM and his nautical background, however the piracy, the late night kidnappings, really made it enjoyable.

Pathfinder's campaign setting is well thought out and descriptive and I do like it but have not read/played huge amounts of it to move it further up this list.

Birthright would sit with Pathfinder, maybe a little higher but it is very dependent on the DM. The concepts are great, the rules were good - just too dependent on outside factors to make the world top of the list.

There are many more that I like but those are the ones standing out in mind right now.

D

Glyfair

Explorer
Eberron wins it hands down for me. The post WWI feel of the campaign is great and I love how that ties into the heroic and noir pulp vibe as well. No other D&D setting comes close (for non-D&D FRP settings, Glorantha has dropped to a close number 2).

Second favorite would be Birthright. I like the idea of making the kings and other leaders the center of the campaign world. The world flavor is nice as well, making just enough changes to be different from the standard tropes, but close enough that it doesn't seem weird or change for changes sake.

Greg K

Legend
Published settings? I t is a toss-up between Darksun, Al Quadim, and Ravenloft: Realms of Terror.

Not a fan of Eberron, Planescape, or Spelljammer

amnuxoll

First Post
Greyhawk. Nothing else fits the game quite like it.

Scarred Lands is close though. I wouldn't hate to see that be more popular.

IMO, many settings like Forgotten Realms, Dark Sun, Al Qadim, Planescape etc. are caricatures. They are fun to read about to actually play them is just too saccharin. The game needs to be exiting and fantastic because your heroes are in it, not because of some NPC.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads