• Nentir Vale/PoL

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • Gamma World

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • Something I Forgot

Votes: 21 17.6%

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It's not really a well-developed "setting," but Radiant Citadel could be an neat premise for a TV show. It could play out episodically sort of like Star Trek TOS mashed with DS9, but with fantasy cultures and some nebulous threat lurking in the Ether. Or something.
It's also a pretty chill Setting, wouldn't require too much resource wise to produce...

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Definitely Exandria. Probably as an animated show on Prime Video, with the cast members of Critical Role voice acting their characters. The first season could be the Briarwood Arc, and the second could be the Chroma Conclave Arc.

On a more serious note, Eberron would be my pick. Preferably live-action, but animated could work too. I'm biased toward the setting, but I truly believe it would work best as a TV series. There are just so many stories and characters that could be involved, especially if it were more episodic than serialized. One episode could be a Wild West-style wand-slinging Q'barra adventure, while the next could be political intrigue with the Dragonmarked Houses and kingdoms of Khorvaire, and the next be Indiana Jones-style dungeon delving in Xen'drik.

Jackandor could be perfect for a one-shot. The audience wouldn't need knownledge of the lore.

An animated serie should be cheaper and faster to be produced.

The setting isn't so important but a good story.

A cartoon adapting the videogame Mythforce? I loved that 80's spirit in the trailer.

* The sequel of the 80's cartoon is other option. This time it would be a different group each season, and half group would be no-humans(gnomes, halflings, harengons, tabaxi, dragonborn, shifters).

Why not a G.I.Joe+Transformers: Isekai? Cobra used decepticon technology to create a stargate toward the origin planet of the Cobra-la aliens, and the plan almost didn't work. A new world is discovered, but this is secretly ruled by Cobra-la. Yes, it is a crazy idea, but so crazy even it may work.

Or an anime where characters from Kamigawa are sent within a virtual computer simulation.

* Nentir Vale was created to be a sandbox. This could allow more creative freedom to the producers and screenwritters, but there is also a risk when a lot of things start to be added, then there is a continuity to be kept.

* Why not Greyhawk with the iconic class characters of 3.5 Ed?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Objectively correct answer
😅

I think DL would be better as a movie trilogy, btw. The novels aren’t super long, and there’s plenty of chaff, that if someone loves the franchise like Joe Mangianello, it could be really good in that format.
With Eberron I would be concerned wither the Setting or the show would suffer from the strain (in live action). Basically, interpreting the "strongest" question I'm terms of how easy it would be to pull off almost as well as how cool it would be if pulled off.
Eberron would certainly require a decent budget, not a super constrained one. Something comparable to WoT or RoP, or maybe The Expanse. Still, doesn’t take huge sets and hours of CG to have a lightning rail job, or a conversation on the deck of an elemental airship.

FR you can get a lot more low budget action, probably, but that lower budget action will be a lot more generic. FR stands out when it’s about powerful factions and individuals to some degree, IMO.

Unless they want to adapt some Greenwood, Kemp, De Bie, Cunningham, annd/or Erin Evans, FR stories.

jeffh

Adventurer
I went Dragonlance, Eberron, and "Something I Forgot", specifically with Dark Sun in mind. Krynn especially seems tailor-made for a big-budget TV series, all you need to do is adapt the OG novels with relatively small changes for modern tastes. You would really need to embrace problematizing the gods and add some layers to the gully dwarves, but even so you're most of the way there already.

My opinion is a mini-serie should be a better option than movies because there is enough time to tell the plot.

After Xena: the warrior princess I don't remember new-brand fantasy franchises in TV. Yes, we have Game of Thrones, the Witcher, the Wheel of Time... but I mean no-adaptation of previous written works.

• I wonder how would be an anime pilot episode of "I was reborn as an autognome and now I am a transfomer".
  • Even if here there are some really good ideas about a D&D TV show, this may be a horrible year for Hollywood industry.

* Now I am thinking about Visionaries as a horror urban fantasy reverse isekai. Let me to explain. Let's imagine a ghost town, and this is invaded by D&D creatures. To stop a planar invasion the cosmic force "curse" the town and this becomes a demiplane. The militar forces are sent to the town to stop the invasion, and they discover they are isolated, at least most of time. Some visitors are hostile invaders, but other are innocent exiled searching a refuge. Later the goverment finds a solution, to use the town like a criminal colony. The peaceful refugees are allowed to stay, but the zone is oficially declared in quarintine. Some visitors are spellcasters with magic to translate languanges and healing diseases. A second reason is to avoid a possible mutual cultural pollution. Of course some convicts tried to escape, and that was the plan. The fact is when they tried to exit, they found other worlds to be explored. At least the survivors could return to the town with some threasures.

* Other idea is a KDrama. There is a group of Korean teen girls. They need money to pay the university, or old debts by parents, and one has got an idea: an actual play show, with a VTT. Then there are two levels, the players in the "real life", and the adventures of the PCs within the game.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
So, I think dragonlance, spelljammer, planescape, eberron, and dark sun would make great TV shows.

Dragonlance has that fantasy epic feel.

Eberron would be great to set something like a pulp action detective noir series.

Planescape has that weird feel to it that I think would create an interesting series set in Sigil. I think it would great for some sort of weird Victorian style setting for some sort of story, but with demons and angels and tieflings (oh my!). You have to throw in the factions to some degree, but it'd make for a great setting for a series.

Dark Sun would be a great for a series freeing the city of Tyr, basically follow the novels to some degree.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
And the Citadel itself just screams "Attack me in the season finale!!"
The biggest issue I have with Journeys through the Radiant Citadel is that no one thought to actually set adventures there. I mean, yes, the multicultural settings and adventures are great, but the citadel has a lot of unrealized potential as an adventure site.

Remove ads