• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Which Demon Lord(s) are associated with orcs

Shemeska

Adventurer
Demon lords have always been an exception versus Gruumsh and the others deities in the orcish pantheon.

You could always take a page from Pathfinder lore and use either Lamashtu or Anghazan. Baphomet would also work on some level as well.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Because demon lords are intrinsically linked to the Abyss, and Gruumsh isn't in the Abyss?

Why not? I would think he can just pop in (or reside) on the CE home plane any time he wants. He is a "god" after all.*

This thread actually has me tossing about the idea of an orcish tribe/cult that begins to worship Pazuzu...and in the spirit of true chaos, the demon lord of the air gives the orcs flying technology -like gliders and hot air ballons style tech/simple enough for them to pull off- but still "air power" that no other orc tribe has/gets/understands or can build...now there are "flying orcs" terrorizing the borderlands and claiming huge swathes of territory.

Iiiii like it! Puttin' a pin in that one for future use.

EDIT for the "*"] * Or a demonlord passing himself off as one and we're all buying it...or a high level gnome illusionist...or a low level one and we all failed our saves. The rumor mill took care of the rest....or...or...or /EDIT]

Last edited:

Klaus

First Post
Because demon lords are intrinsically linked to the Abyss, and Gruumsh isn't in the Abyss?

Dude. Homebrew. Gruumsh can be as associated with the Abyss (or rule the whole thing, using Demogorgon for a carpet and Dagon for sushi) if the DM wants it.

trentonjoe

Explorer
I often use Vampric the Destroyer when making "non traditional" orcs. Vamprac (Vampric, something like that) is the evil god of Ogres and Trolls (I think) and at some point, in some book, some where was associated with the Demon Lords. I think.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Dude. Homebrew. Gruumsh can be as associated with the Abyss (or rule the whole thing, using Demogorgon for a carpet and Dagon for sushi) if the DM wants it.

I'm rather well aware that you can tinker with anything you like in a home campaign, I do so liberally in my own. But when someone is asking specifically about demon lords in a thread, I'm going to answer regarding demon lords as opposed to things that aren't, like Gruumsh. For instance if someone asks about lore on giants, I'll answer on giants, not on dragons, even if you could totally make them related in a campaign.

trentonjoe

Explorer
Is to find when you can spell it......

Vaprak (PDF Version)
(The Destroyer, the Rapacious, the King Eater, the Undying One, the Great Devourer)
Lesser Power of the Abyss, CE

Portfolio: Combat, greed, destruction, aggression, frenzy, ogres, trolls
Aliases: None
Domain Name: 524th Layer/Shatterstone

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads