D&D General Which Edition Had the Best Ranger?

Which Edition had the best Ranger?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Yeah but the 5e Ranger impacts Exploration by... getting rid of it. "We're trying to reach X" "Okay, it'll take 5 days in the wilderness and you won't get lost because Jack's Ranger is there. And rolls a few die no one attacks you during the night. You're there!"
If that's the case, then you're not doing exploration very well. You're not actually giving them anything to explore. You're expecting dice rolls to do your work rather than come up with interesting things to do on the way that engage the players.

Undrave

Legend
If that's the case, then you're not doing exploration very well. You're not actually giving them anything to explore. You're expecting dice rolls to do your work rather than come up with interesting things to do on the way that engage the players.
The game does a poor job of explaining what you're supposed to do... beside, what, pray tell, can you add that would actually engage the Ranger in a way that would make them shine? Because none of those free pass abilities actually makes you better at something else that could be used. The abilities are PASSIVE. They don't engage you in anything.
Disagree. I'm gonna quote myself from the other thread as to why I disagree. I think if that's how you're narrating it in the game, you're doing those abilities a disservice.
And I'll repeat that it still means the player doesn't do anything. It might be cooler in your description, but it's no less passive.

the Jester

Legend
Voted for the 4e version, though both the 1e and 3.5e rangers are very, very close to it.

Honestly, this is a case where the difference between the 3.0 and 3.5 versions of a thing are so far apart that the poll should have separated them out.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I think your conflating 'having fun with a class' and the idea that a class is good or not. You can totally have fun with anything in this game. I'm sure you can ask around and you'll find people willing to regal you with the tales of how much fun they had roleplaying a commoner, or a beggar, or how their 3.X monk was the totally the best character in their game...it doesn't make those classes good at mechanical stuff, AKA the stuff we can discuss and compare while being online and away from tables.

Don't forget we're on this forum for FUN and that, for a lot of people here, talking 'white room' stuff is FUN. Does it cover every possible situations that every possible character can be in? No! But it's enough to fuel discussion and keep people engaged with the hobby when not playing.
Heh... well, if the vitriol we see from people here on the boards (like for instance Gladius Legis and their concurrent ranger thread) is not actual anger but merely the appearance of anger in order to play the "angry person" character while just "having fun" discussing white-room D&D... then fair enough.

But in truth... I'm a weeeeeeeeeeeeee bit skeptical that the ranting we see here constantly is just for funsies. I suspect there are some actual unhappy campers here that are genuinely upset that they haven't been given a D&D that is as mechanically tight as Go or Chess. ;)

Sacrosanct

Legend
it is quite good IMHO,

might as well replace Natural explorer and Favored enemy with Known lands and Ways of the wild

AiME is a great book for those who want low magic D&D. I'd highly recommend folks who don't want much magic in their D&D to look at this book, and just port over the class mechanics and ignore the ME fluff if you don't want it.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
The game does a poor job of explaining what you're supposed to do... beside, what, pray tell, can you add that would actually engage the Ranger in a way that would make them shine? Because none of those free pass abilities actually makes you better at something else that could be used. The abilities are PASSIVE. They don't engage you in anything.
I dunno, page 106 of the DMG has some interesting advice - specifically the Hour by Hour Approach to wilderness. The montage approach doesn't lend itself well to engagement, but even Sacrosanct's montage-oriented summary takes explicitly validates having a ranger in the group.
Ultimately, I think the montage approach is not best suited for groups that actually have PCs oriented around the wilderness. So give them something to do like you would when mapping out a dungeon. Give them obstacles and encounters that their ranger might be able to navigate around (at the cost of more time - and maybe with other interesting findables along the way like a lost shrine or monster lair). Give them obstacles that the ranger's skills will help the group detect and analyze (but that other characters' skills may be needed for). And give them some terrain that isn't on the ranger's favored list.

Greg K

Legend
In a PHB? 4e. Otherwise 3e, because one could use spell-less option from Complete Champion (a version of something going around the web since 3.0) which granted bonus feats and lacked the mystical abilities of the disappointing spell-less ranger option from Complete Warrior.

My vote went to the 1ed ranger.
I've almost always been a DM. I have seen hundreds of players throughout the years and one thing has been consistent.

In 1ed, if you could do a ranger, you would. No hesitation, no second thought. If you could, you would. The ranger class was not incrediby powerful but it was really good and its flavor was right on the spot. It was a subclass of fighters and the few limitations it had were not damaging to the class and you could have many kind of ranger. From the lightly armored archer to the heavily armored wielding two handed swords, the class had enough possibilities to accomodate a lot of play styles.

In 2ed, the ranger became a full class. Now it was a choice. The first two years, rangers were often picked up. But as time went on, players were going for better damage output. The Drizzt syndrome as I called it (and I am not the only one) made it so that now the ranger is pigeonholed in that playstyle or the archery...

3.xed did not do it better as the Drizzt syndrome was still going strong. At least, Master of the Wild did bring some nice prestige classes but still, rangers were not the first pick. But one thing was done good. Rangers were no longer forced to be good aligned. Now evil could have its own "rangers"...

4ed Did a good job. Better than the two other previous editions. But still, ranger is still a class that is looking for its niche. The power aspect of the game meant that at least the ranger could look like a spell less character but deep down, everyone always felt that powers were spell like abilities depending on the character type being played and the power used. But 4ed was much better than 2ed or 3ed but still inferior to 1ed as ranger in that edition were highly sought after.

5ed. A catastrophic design for the ranger. It barely took my old players three evening of playtesting to decided not to do one. We immediately removed the concentration mechanic from Hunter's mark and now, a few years later, the pet command is now a bonus action to make it attack, help or flee (or any other command). The command must not be reiterate every round as long as you want to pet to do something, it will keep doing it until the pet or its target is dead. On target's death, the pet will go on with its last command and might seek a random target if you don't direct your pet (generally, the pet will either go help you if you are in melee combat 50%, simply attack the nearest opponent 25% or just get back to your side 25%). These simple changes helped the ranger a lot, but still the class lacks a lot of the appeal that 1ed or 4ed had. And yet, we are using the UA ranger as the PHB version is utter BS. And Tasha's modifications are even worse than what I was dreading. WotC must hate the Ranger.

All these are from a DM's perspective. I almost never sit in the player's chair. So I consider myself pretty much impartial on these matters. This is what the cold hard fact are showing me. And it is not only in my groups that I see these effects. Even in other groups. In our Friday night D&D, many tables are now using the UA file ranger with my two mods. It works out well for them as well. They had high hopes for Tasha... guess it will be crushed hopes again.

Remove ads