D&D General Which edition of D&D did you grow up with?

Which edition did you start with?

3catcircus

Adventurer
I started with BECMI back in 1983. Was at Epcot and saw a cool looking handheld video game involving dragons and knights being sold for $20 but left my cash at the hotel. Parents refused to loan me the money. When I got back home I searched and searched to find this game and stumbled upon the Basic Set being sold in Walgreens. Didn't know the difference between the Moldvay and Mentzer versions being sold side by side and since they were $9.99 each I got both and was quickly hooked. Several visits to Lionel Playworld to buy modules (at $4.95 each - a price that was almost armed robbery to a 12 year old) then led me to Warwick Hobbies where I discovered AD&D, Rolemaster, Star Frontiers and Top Secret.

That led to my teen years buying pretty much everything published for BECMI and AD&D. When Lionel was going out of business, I think I bought a copy of every single module that I didn't already have (I think it was like 12 modules) for the princely sum of $3 total.

Anyhow, when did you jump on the train?

1E around 1986. There was a group of us in elementary school that would play.

What did you grow up with?

For me it was 2E. I was in middle school when 2E dropped in 1989. That edition took me from middle school, through high school and my undergraduate college years and into my first job post-college. I played off-and-on throughout those years, from one-shots to year-long campaigns.

While I have fond memories of the campaigns I played in during those years, I have no nostalgia for the D&D game rules of that era, which I now see as both counter-intuitive and a hot mess. And while I was unaware of it at the time, TSR's corporate culture certainly left something to be desired. Lorraine Williams might as well be She Who Shall Not Be Named to some gamers from that era.

During which edition were you indoctrinated?

I'd say 3.X. By the time 3E came out in 2000, I was an adult. It was clear that D&D was not just a fad of youth for me. I began playing with other adults who took the game seriously. I played 3.X intensely from 2001-2006 and spent hours working on my characters.

Which edition is "home"?

5E, I like it the best. I no longer have the patience for the number-crunching of 3.X, lol.

Last edited:

well, I was 20 when I found D&D and already grown up (although my parents might have disputed that).... I first bought the BD&D 'blue box' set when I was trying to find out just what it was all about, and found a small group and ran a few PCs, but it wasn't long before we all 'graduated' to 1E. I spent a lot of years in that edition, and was a gamer off and on during 2E. So, I guess 1E is the one I 'grew up with'...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Started as a teen in the early Aughts with a Mish-mash 3.0-3.5 (we were not that careful about which was in play). Due to dissatisfaction with the new edition and stage of life not being conducive to gaming dropped out of RPGs ~2010 in my mid-20's, saw a commercial for KREO D&D sets in the theatre before the LEGO movie in 2014, found out there was a 5E being published in a few months, and it just took off from there.

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
avGBM0s.jpg

Greg K

Legend
The first thing I actually played was AD&D. But that was just one time. I then went home from that sleepover camp and asked my parents for D&D and they bought me this, which I played for years:

s-l1600.jpg
The sheet of chits, because they ran out dice to include in the box set, iirc.

Remove ads