Which First Level Adventure for Beginners/Returning Lapsed Adults

Reynard

Legend
A couple weeks ago I ran a beer and preztles game of 5E for friends of mine who are either non-players or players from decades ago. It went pretty well and we decided to give it a go as a more regular, slightly more serious thing. I want to find a good 1st level adventure to kick things off, something that is sort of "quintessentially D&D" but also modern and fun. We are going to play monthly-ish, for maybe 3 or 4 hours at a time. It is still intended to be a bit of a goof, but not totally meaningless.

What 1st level module (from any edition, but it should be accessible) would you recommend?

EDIT: I should clarify that I am not new or lapsed. I am in fact ancient and active. I am unfortunately as busy, so crafting something amazing myself isn't in the cards for at least a few months.

Last edited:

I’d second Lost Mines of Phandelver. It’s good at easing people into the rules set while teaching as it goes. Not to mention it has hooks that can easily be built from for subsequent adventures. If it’s not to your liking, Goodman Games has some slim 5e modules that are pretty good, though they probably are a little more retro than modern.

Grognerd

Explorer
I’d second Lost Mines of Phandelver. It’s good at easing people into the rules set while teaching as it goes. Not to mention it has hooks that can easily be built from for subsequent adventures. If it’s not to your liking, Goodman Games has some slim 5e modules that are pretty good, though they probably are a little more retro than modern.

If you don't go with Phandelver, I'll second Goodman Games. I like their 5th Edition Fantasy stuff.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
It isn't the only correct answer, but the best correct answer is the Starter Set. $20 gets you everything you need, and it walks you through 5e both as a DM and a player.

Last edited:

Grognerd

Explorer
I should have pointed out that I am neither new to D&D or a lapsed player/GM.

I think you can get Phandelver online as a PDF (it's been a while since I looked, so I could be wrong). A good choice without getting the kiddie version of the Starter Set. Otherwise, Goodman Games is definitely available.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
I should have pointed out that I am neither new to D&D or a lapsed player/GM.

The Starter Set adventure (Lost Mines of Phandelver) fortunately happens to be a great level 1-5 mini-campaign, regardless of your experience level.

Even as an experienced DM, you'll enjoy running it. And for new players it's the best 5E option by a lot.

Remove ads