Which Greyhawk?

Which variants of Greyhawk would you buy?

ivocaliban

First Post
airwalkrr said:
I find it odd, almost comical, that so many people support Paizohawk (which includes references to FtA) while only a small fraction of those people also support FtA.

My reason for this is neither odd nor comical. I came to Greyhawk via 3.0e and the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer. I enjoyed many of the Dragon articles relating to Greyhawk (particularly the Core Beliefs articles) as well as Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk.

My interest in and love of Greyhawk eventually lead me to www.rpgnow.com where I downloaded Gygax's World of Greyhawk. While "Paizohawk" may reference From the Ashes, I am unfamiliar with the original material therein. I couldn't say I support something I haven't read, even if it has infiltrated future versions of Greyhawk.

Inferno!

Explorer
Glyfair said:
See the squares by the poll answers? That means that you can choose as many answers as you wish. That's standard for internet polls. Circles mean you can only choose one.

Really? I had no idea - that's useful to know

Aeolius

Adventurer
Quartz said:
Give me an advancement of the current milieu.

Agreed; a Greyhawk Gazetteer updated to encompass all that 3.5e has to offer, including mention of the various "Mysterious Places" that have been mentioned over the years. Also, a few GH-specific beasties would be nice - a 3.5e Sea Sprite, perhaps?

CaptainTrips

Explorer
jimpaladin said:
Don't assign it to Billy the new guy because he's got the time and hey it's only Greyhawk they'll buy it anyway attitute.

It wasn't assigned to "Billy the new guy" - Eric Mona, James Jocobs, and Jason Buhlman are all involved with Paizo Publishing products (Dragon, Dungeon, Pathfinder), which includes the various Adventure Paths set in Greyhawk.

By the way, my apologies if you knew that but were trying to make a point that went over my head. Just wanted to clarify for those who didn't know - the peope that wrote Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk know a lot about Greyhawk and have done, by all accounts, a great job on this product.

Dice4Hire

First Post
airwalkrr said:
I find it odd, almost comical, that so many people support Paizohawk (which includes references to FtA) while only a small fraction of those people also support FtA.

Considering Paizo basically ignored FTA while setting good adventures in Greyhawk it should not be surprising at all. Expedition is the same, basically ignoring it ever happened, except for a couple of references, and getting on with the adventure.

I fail to see why every campaign setting feels the need to explode it with a world-changing event (or yearly ones in FR). It is just incomprehensible to me.

So Greyhawk with lip service(or just ignoring) of FTA is fine with me.

Melan

Explorer
At this point, I would only give verbal support to a Paizo release - and am only interested in paying for material from EGG/RJK's original, pre-folio Greyhawk campaign. The ship, it had sailed long ago... :\

jimpaladin

First Post
CaptainTrips said:
It wasn't assigned to "Billy the new guy" - Eric Mona, James Jocobs, and Jason Buhlman are all involved with Paizo Publishing products (Dragon, Dungeon, Pathfinder), which includes the various Adventure Paths set in Greyhawk.

By the way, my apologies if you knew that but were trying to make a point that went over my head. Just wanted to clarify for those who didn't know - the peope that wrote Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk know a lot about Greyhawk and have done, by all accounts, a great job on this product.

My Bad I was merely trying to say that I didn't want WotC to put out something they thought we wanted without making sure it was the best it could be. From what I hear on the WotC boards Hasbro is always short on something. Writers, playtesters, editors, etc. The fear is they assign it to someone who thinks they need to change all that has gone before. And yes ExtoGreyhawk has done better than expected!

sorry for the confusion

GVDammerung

First Post
Philotomy Jurament said:
Couldn't you check more than one?

Could, perhaps, but won't. The result is the same - GHers are shown divided over which version of GH "rules." I will not play that game. Nothing suggests the poll results be read together and a natural reading looks at each response category seperately. The result is the appearence of a fractured GH fanbase. I'm sure that was not the OP's intent but there it is all the same. I would have checked a box - will buy any and all GH - but that option is notably absent. Instead, GHers must choose up sides or chose each option and hope the poll is artifically read as a gestalt rather than naturally as mutually exclusive categories.

But don't let me stop anyone elses fun. I'm speaking solely for me.

Pants

First Post
I voted Paizo-hawk and FTA, mainly because Paizo has treated GH rather well over the past few years and FTA, primarily because of the 'feel' of the FTA. Evil is everywhere, powerful, and in control. A few true bastions of good exist, but just not enough. Almost the opposite of FR actually.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
The LGG is the basis for everything in "Paizohawk" and should probably be seen as part of the same category.

Actually, as some posters have noted, it's possible to publish a "modern" Greyhawk that is not anathema to the various "factions" of Greyhawk fandom. A great deal of the Greyhawk adventures published during Paizo's tenure with Dragon and Dungeon, for example, work in all eras of the setting with few difficulties.

The more time that passes, the less and less things like "do you accept From the Ashes" seem to matter, in my view.

Greyhawk fans agree about a lot more than they disagree about, and as long as you focus most heavily on those areas, everyone is reasonably happy.

--Erik (who spells his name with a K!)

Remove ads