Votes: 23 26.7%
  • Both Rock!

Votes: 10 11.6%

• Poll closed .

The Thayan Menace

First Post
The Rick James Confessional

Rick-James.jpg

"I wouldn't go plugging my material all over other people's threads. I got more sense than that .... Yeah, I remember plugging my material all over other people's threads ...."​

Turjan

Explorer
The Thayan Menace said:
What's unbalanced about the prestige classes he mentioned?
Sorry, the Disjoiner is from Oathbound, which leaves the Incantatrix. I don't actually know; I have never seen one in action. Maybe, the metamagic she gets is a bit too good?

tf360

First Post
The Thayan Menace said:
I haven't checked out Bastion since Spells & Magic came out; do they actually have decent artists now?

Yes, the sinewy art from the original Oathbound book and the earlier products is long gone. We have a whole new set of artists, with a couple of holdovers from our more recent products, but the look is much more of your "traditional" fantasy look than the more alien approach of earlier products.

The disjoiner is from Oathbound, but the Oathbound Player's Guide, vastly reworks the channeling classes as well. The disjoiner from Plains of Penance, which Psion referred to, pretty much retained the name and that's about it.

When I first received the task of producing the Oathbound supplements, one of my top priorities was to bring balance to several mechanical elements where needed. Wildwood, the latest Oathbound release-available in several special editions at GenCon ;) is a reflection of that. The prestige race mechanic has been reworked, the races have been adjusted and all of the other crunchy bits have been given a thorough inspection and tweaking when necessary.

BTW...I've also been working on some of the crunchy bits for Castlemorn-a product that we're releasing in conjunction with Studio 2 publishing. It's a new campaign setting by...Ed Greenwood, the author of Forgotten Realms.

Zjelani

First Post
The Thayan Menace said:
I haven't checked out Bastion since Spells & Magic came out; do they actually have decent artists now?
Well, in the 3 years since that came out, their products have changed pretty dramatically.

Vaxalon said:
By who? Why the hate for FR and BP?
Yeah, I'm kind of wondering where this is coming from as well. Something smells trolly to me. ;)

That being said, with Wildwood, the Oathbound Player's Guide, and Castlemorn, Bastion Press is getting even better still in my opinion (biased as it is). But artwork really has nothing to do with balance anyway.

Where balance is concerned, Oathbound is definitely a bit of a power-up, but that's pretty much one of the points of the setting, and internal to itself, it's fairly well balanced. The same was true about Dark Sun in 2e (and probably even more so). Definitely a fun setting even if a mul gladiator would overpower most FR and standard PCs.

I've also never had a problem with Forgotten Realms being unbalanced as well. But, to be honest, I tend to DM pretty fast and loose. As long as all of the players are having fun and no one is overwhelming the others, I don't worry about the numbers too much.

Remove ads