D&D 5E Which Non-Classic/Magic Settings Would You like to see WotC Publish?

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
Who is the owner of Thundar the Barbarian? I think "Pirates of the Dark Waters" would be easier to be adapted into a D&D by setting, or maybe some partnership deal.
Both were Hanna Barbera, which made the most Hanna Barbaric cartoons in the 80s. So it's AT&T/WB/Cartoon Network.

Personally, I would give my left arm for a "Pirates of Dark Water" setting. Well, not MY left arm. But somebody's left arm. And a right leg too, if necessary, because PoDW was the most D&D cartoon of the 80s.

Even more than the actual D&D cartoon.

Both were Hanna Barbera, which made the most Hanna Barbaric cartoons in the 80s. So it's AT&T/WB/Cartoon Network.

Personally, I would give my left arm for a "Pirates of Dark Water" setting. Well, not MY left arm. But somebody's left arm. And a right leg too, if necessary, because PoDW was the most D&D cartoon of the 80s.

Even more than the actual D&D cartoon.
"I need that guy's leg."

MarkB

Legend
Even though it informs a lot of aspects of D&D I don't think there's been an official setting that really encompasses Arthurian myth and legend. So I'd be down for an Avalon setting.

King Arthur, the round table, Merlin, Lancelot and Avalon is public domain. It is a double-edge sword, because their names are known, but also they can be used by others. It would be like for the resurection of Disney when other studios broadcasted their own version of those public domain characters. The knights of the round table are present as the Arthurian myths in the sourcebooks "Deities and demigods" and "Legends and Lore".

I am open-minded about D&D version of famous videogame franchises: Runeterra, Final Fantasy, Warcraft.... but intercompany crossovers aren't easy to negotiate and reach and agremeent.

After Exandria(Critical Role) and Acquisition Inc.... do you thing any setting from any game-live steaming show would possible?

DC published its own D&D setting: The Last God. A new version of "Pirates of the Dark Waters" wouldn't be a surprise if we remember the "reboots" or mash-up of famous Hanna-Barbera characters.

589512-scooby-apocalipsis-reboot-scooby-doo-llega-25-mayo.jpg

(Mmmm, how would be a Scooby Doo - Ravenloft crossover?)

Wacky_Raceland%2C_DC_Comics%2C_Jun_2016.jpg

(And a Gamma World - Wacky Raceland? (and the dog is a secret transformers).

Settings by comic publishers? These could create wonderful lore, but I am afraid the weak point is the right crunch. I guess then the solution would be easy, buying some 3PP, and using this as other ideas-factory to later being adapted into videogame. I don't know enough DC's "the last god" but it looks a world too linked to the main plot of the comic, without enough space for other characters with their own adventures, something too close with Dragonlance.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
None. Hear me out.

WotC owns a lot of classic settings that no one else can publish.

Anyone can make a brand-new setting, and there are loads of wonderful ones out there.

If WotC publishes a brand-new setting, the classic settings continue to be neglected.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
None. Hear me out.

Anyone can make a brand-new setting, and there are loads of wonderful ones out there.

If WotC publishes a brand-new setting, the classic settings continue to be neglected.
but which of the classic settings even have a place in the world today beyond nostalgia?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
None. Hear me out.

Some creative works are dead ends or products of their time and are unlikely to see further life. There is no moral imperative for WotC to give us a Jakandor 5E. The world is not diminished by there not being a Thunder Rift 5E. There are arguments against even trying with Maztica, Al-Qadim and Kara Tur and, instead, channeling the impulse to do something with Meso-America, the Middle East and Asia into a new and better thing.

Last edited:

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
but which of the classic settings even have a place in the world today beyond nostalgia?

What does this even mean? I think some of the classic settings do introduce styles of play that aren't really reflected well in the currently-released 5E settings, if that's what you mean.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
What does this even mean? I think some of the classic settings do introduce styles of play that aren't really reflected well in the currently-released 5E settings, if that's what you mean.
name those styles of play and settings.

then list how difficult it would be to update them to not be incompatible with modern taste.

then list the setting unique selling points.

Remove ads