• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which non-core monsters should have been core?

Thotas said:
Maybe if someone rewrote them as a type of construct built by actual creatures of Lawful Neutral planes I could deal with them, but until then they don't exist in my multiverse!

Wow.

Thotas, congratulations. You've finally found an idea that might someday convince me to use modrons.

I admit that I'm not a huge fan of the formians, but I like them better than modrons. I kinda like the inevitables, too. But I don't think any of them are really a good "iconic" lawful race, the way the slaad are iconic chaos.

Something to ponder creating, I suppose... ;)

Dr. Harry

First Post
EricNoah said:
Quaggoth (originally in FF I think, now in Monsters of Faerun) and peryton (originally in MM, now in Monsters of Faerun) are two I'm thinking of.

Peryton definitely. For some reason (maybe I was just in rare form) some of these scared the living bejeezus out of a party I was DMing, and I've loved them ever since.

DMH

First Post
GrayLinnorm said:
I suppose it would also be worth noting that formians weren't even originally extraplanar?

I liked them as ant people and disliked when they turned planar (the most recent non-ant castes adds to the dislike).

My list has been mostly mentioned with one exception- the clockwork horrors (all of them from copper up). They are the only reproducing constructs and there is never a controller about (though the characters may never know it).

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
GrayLinnorm said:
I suppose it would also be worth noting that formians weren't even originally extraplanar?

indeed! in the 1E MM2, there was nothing even remotely extraplanar about them.

the designers of the Planes of Law boxed set figured the formians were a good fit, and rightly so. unfortunately, they have been exclusively extraplanar ever since (though i do believe they appeared in a Monstrous Compendium Annual which said this was not necessarily so).

Pants

First Post
BOZ said:
indeed! in the 1E MM2, there was nothing even remotely extraplanar about them.

the designers of the Planes of Law boxed set figured the formians were a good fit, and rightly so. unfortunately, they have been exclusively extraplanar ever since (though i do believe they appeared in a Monstrous Compendium Annual which said this was not necessarily so).
Wow, I didn't even know that. :)

Nyaricus

First Post
Baku (those things look so friggin cool)
Boobrie (a great northern Diver that can whoop your ass)
Cu Sith (goes under a few different names, but a green dog with giant paws are always neat)
Grell (like these guys since i first read about them in Dragon Lance. Had a few ightmares because of them too :( )
Fairy Dragon (what's not to like, even from the name)
Firbolg (neat low[er] level giant fodder)
Hordeling (i just like the name)
Pechs ( always like this race, i think it was inspired by real-life Coblyns)
Phoenix (this is a no-duh, but for some reason, WotC are fools and didn't kee and icon)
Skunk (what is NOT to liek; a great CR 1 creature :D)
Taer (human-ish yeti's. a neak concept)

Also, i would like to see Nymphs statted out by subrace - and not have Nymphs and Dryads somehow be seperate races of fey.

Moulin Rogue

First Post
I'll add Cyclops to the list of real-world monsters. Yeah, there are a fair number of core giants already, but still, cyclops is pretty iconic as mythological giants go.

Li Shenron

Legend
GrayLinnorm said:

I actually didn't know that... :uhoh: And yet I always thought that they were odd as outsiders, I mean as creatures from an afterlife world (if it was just an alternate material, I'd have no issues at all).

Shemeska

Adventurer
GrayLinnorm said:

Although IIRC, once the extraplanar Arcadian formians were introduced, there was a distinction made between those Arcadian formians and Formians on the prime material plane. Formians also weren't true planeborne like archons, slaadi, yugoloths, eladrin, Tanar'ri, etc, so it's likely that the planar versions might have originally been from the prime, or the ones on the prime were errant ones from Arcadia, and their differing racial attitudes might be explained by them reflecting a bit of their surroundings. On the prime, and now in Mechanus they're expansionist and callous towards other races, while on Arcadia they're harmonious with the other beings on the plane and don't work to exploit them as slave labor.

Remove ads