Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Dragon of Icespire Peak

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus

Votes: 1 1.4%

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
It's interesting that Strahd is pretty high in the "completed" rankings. I neither have played nor own it. What do you think makes that adventure more likely to have been completed? is it more fun? Better written? Shorter?
It's considered one of the best 5E official adventures, plus it's short, plus Ravenloft is super-popular, plus it's a change of pace from standard fantasy, plus it can be easily dropped into an ongoing homebrew campaign. That might mean that groups who usually use their own world for fantasy games would be willing to make CoS their one exception.

pogre

Legend
I have run all the way through Phandelver, Dragon Heist, Dungeon of the Mad Mage, and all of the Icespire Peak series. Started most of the rest and got really deep into some of them before the campaigns headed in a different direction.

BTW - I kind of turned up my nose at the Icespire Peak, Storm Lord's Wrath, Sleeping Dragon Wake, and Divine Contention series. After all, we have been playing for 5+ years - why do we need essentials? However, I ran these remotely for 90 minute sessions four times a week and my group really enjoyed it. The bite-sized missions in the series was perfect for that format.

S'mon

Legend
None. Played a bit of LMOP in 2014, tried GMing it in 2015 but only got a couple sessions in before abandoned. About a third to half way through GMing POTA (since Jan 2019). Ran Forge of Fury from TFTYP successfully, and ran a bit of Sunken Citadel but players abandoned it (which also happened first time I attempted Forge of Fury in 5e).

Most of my 5e GMing has been with conversions of OSR modules like Dyson's Delve and non-module Wilderlands of High Fantasy (mostly based off 3e-era WoHF) since early 2015, conversion of the Paizo APs Rise of the Runelords (on book 6, running again today) and Shattered Star (completed) since late 2015, plus 5e Primeval Thule since early 2019.

Looking at my record, WoTC official stuff has been much much less successful than third party. :\ Players regularly abandon official WoTC campaigns, whereas as my Runelords/Shattered Star mash up conversion has run for 108 sessions (109th today), PCs have been Epic-20 level for a year or so now, depending on the PC.

Reynard

Legend
None. Played a bit of LMOP in 2014, tried GMing it in 2015 but only got a couple sessions in before abandoned. About a third to half way through GMing POTA (since Jan 2019). Ran Forge of Fury from TFTYP successfully, and ran a bit of Sunken Citadel but players abandoned it (which also happened first time I attempted Forge of Fury in 5e).

Most of my 5e GMing has been with conversions of OSR modules like Dyson's Delve and non-module Wilderlands of High Fantasy (mostly based off 3e-era WoHF) since early 2015, conversion of the Paizo APs Rise of the Runelords (on book 6, running again today) and Shattered Star (completed) since late 2015, plus 5e Primeval Thule since early 2019.

Looking at my record, WoTC official stuff has been much much less successful than third party. :\ Players regularly abandon official WoTC campaigns, whereas as my Runelords/Shattered Star mash up conversion has run for 108 sessions (109th today), PCs have been Epic-20 level for a year or so now, depending on the PC.
Out of curiosity, are you converting the Paizo APs on the fly or doing more intensive prep?

S'mon

Legend
Out of curiosity, are you converting the Paizo APs on the fly or doing more intensive prep?

For monster stat blocks I do more than convert-on-fly, although it doesn't take long - not as long as trying to read and understand a multi-column 3e/PF stat block full of feats & suchlike. For target DCs I can convert those on the fly (divide the 3e/PF DC by 2 & add 5), but with monster stat blocks I'll normally take a few minutes pre-session. There are some simple formulae that work:

Attributes over 20, divide amount over 20 by 2, capping at 30.
AC & TNs/DCs divide by 2 & add 5.
At lower level, hp & damage are generally best x1.5. At high level leave as-is.
Ignore feats etc, but look for 1 or 2 signature abilities in the stat block to use.
Calculate to-hit based on CR (PB) and attribute bonus.

matskralc

Explorer
The only one we've finished is Storm King's Thunder. I ran my group through it and it was a lot of fun. The PCs ended up with a reputation as a group that would help you when they showed up, but they were also going to make things worse in their own way before leaving. They would typically introduce themselves as having failed to save the town of Nightstone, but they did save the people of Nightstone.

We started Curse of Strahd and got distracted before getting far and never finished.

I started running Dragon Heist last year. It ended on a very early TPK. We thought about restarting it but decided to move on to something else, instead.

I ran a couple of roll20 sessions of Hoard of the Dragon Queen before deciding that DMing on roll20 wasn't for me.

Most of our 5E gaming has been homebrew.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases