D&D 5E Which Pathfinder APs have been converted to 5e?

Kalshane

First Post
I'm in the same boat as [MENTION=19115]bouncyhead[/MENTION]. I'm running Rise of the Runelords in 5E, but we converted from PF at the start of Chapter 5 and I've just been kind of converting as I go. I've also got 6 players with 30 point-buy, Hero Points and an extra feat, so I'm changing up enemy numbers and power levels for each encounter, which means it's not a flat conversion anyway. (My main reason for switching over is I was already having to do a lot of work to keep up with the larger-than-normal PF party, and even at high-level 5E has a lot less to keep track of than PF, so in the end it's actually easier to run it in 5E, even with the conversion.)

I've been using a general rule of "divide PF DC in half and then add 5" and it's worked pretty well so far.

I'm curious how you've been handling the effects of the various Wings, bouncyhead. I've been doing Advantage on Attack Rolls and Ability checks (but not saves) for aligned sins and Disadvantage on Ability Checks only in opposed wings. The party has still been stomping their way through so far (though their second encounter in Wrath scared them half to death and forced them to pretty much expend all their resources. I made the Warriors of Wrath Fighter(EK)3/Evoker 5s and gave them the Greenflame Blade cantrip from SCAG and the Warcaster feat. Half of them pelted the party with fireballs while the other half cast Haste and charged into melee. I also increased the number of Sinspawn substantially, but made them all standard ones instead of the Sinspawn Fighters from the AP because I wanted to see how well Bounded Accuracy worked.)

I also made the decision that Thassilonian Golems are special and have damage resistance to all weapons that aren't adamantine. Which makes the longsword they found on the body of Red Shiv back in chapter 2 and the warhammer they found in Freezemaw's horde a lot more exciting. (I used the unique properties table from the DMG for the warhammer. It hums like a tuning fork whenever a golem is within 120' feet.) They still shred them pretty easily, even with only one-third of the party doing full damage.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
I convert more on the fly. We are playing through RotR. WE started during the 5E playtests, converted to Savage Worlds (and then our own game based on that), and now back to 5E.

Here is the link to the thread: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?328907-Campaign-Playtest-Rise-of-the-Runelords

5E stuff is towards end (EDIT: starts page 3), however, I have attached MANY sheets that DMs will find useful no matter what system they use.

Most recent, we are fighting stone giants. I have just been adding things like feats to distinguish a few, though I did a sorcerer stone giant for one of the Big Bads.

I am definitely not going for literal conversions of all the classes/statted creatures in PF. But I do like making significant NPCs different.

Last edited:

bouncyhead

Explorer
(My main reason for switching over is I was already having to do a lot of work to keep up with the larger-than-normal PF party, and even at high-level 5E has a lot less to keep track of than PF, so in the end it's actually easier to run it in 5E, even with the conversion.)

Exactly my experience. Running for a party of 8 with 7 players. It does make conversion a little trickier when the CRs don't match in any case! I added an encounter with a troop of Karzoug controlled orcs and ogres on the Storval Plateau - an opportunity for everyone to get familiar with the new rules and test challenge level without me laying waste to the party.

I've been using a general rule of "divide PF DC in half and then add 5" and it's worked pretty well so far.

I'll give that one a go!

I'm curious how you've been handling the effects of the various Wings, bouncyhead. I've been doing Advantage on Attack Rolls and Ability checks (but not saves) for aligned sins and Disadvantage on Ability Checks only in opposed wings. The party has still been stomping their way through so far (though their second encounter in Wrath scared them half to death and forced them to pretty much expend all their resources. I made the Warriors of Wrath Fighter(EK)3/Evoker 5s and gave them the Greenflame Blade cantrip from SCAG and the Warcaster feat. Half of them pelted the party with fireballs while the other half cast Haste and charged into melee. I also increased the number of Sinspawn substantially, but made them all standard ones instead of the Sinspawn Fighters from the AP because I wanted to see how well Bounded Accuracy worked.)

I haven't been playing the sin elements particularly. It's not really our thing. As for Runeforge - things were touch and go in Gluttony, I turned Pride and Lust into pretty-much roleplay only sections, they fought/fled for their very lives through Wrath, desperate for the exit. I dropped the Sinspawn entirely (but had more Karzoug orcs coming through the gate in pursuit and chasing them through the wing. It was all a bit fighty).

I also made the decision that Thassilonian Golems are special and have damage resistance to all weapons that aren't adamantine. Which makes the longsword they found on the body of Red Shiv back in chapter 2 and the warhammer they found in Freezemaw's horde a lot more exciting. (I used the unique properties table from the DMG for the warhammer. It hums like a tuning fork whenever a golem is within 120' feet.) They still shred them pretty easily, even with only one-third of the party doing full damage.

I love that.

Magic was the most difficult element when bringing the PCs over from PF. In the end I just scaled down all weapon bonuses, ability buff items etc. and let attunement handled the rest. They got used to it pretty quickly. Overall feedback from the weekend (we ran through the whole book over a three day weekend away) was that 13th level felt like 7th level and that this was a good thing.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I'm a bit lazy, so I don't really "convert" stuff between editions. I just run it as straight up as possible, substituting edition specific details as needed. (ex; ACs based upon armor, spell effects, how many xp somethings worth, listed monsters just use the 5e MM entry) Monsters in the adventure NOT in the 5e MM? Well, the stats presented are now their 5e stats....

So far in 5e I've run;
1 BECMI module (Keep on the Borderlands)
2 1e modules (The Forest Oracle & Lost Isle of Castanimir)
1 PF module (Souls for Smugglers Shiv)

All have worked just fine with my lazy method. :)
I've been using a similar "lazy" method to great enjoyment as well.

It's gotten me through 5 BECMI modules (and we're on to the sixth, which I am very excited about because it is Isle of Dread), and the first two books of Carrion Crown.

So I'm hearing lazy DM mode will work for even the 3.x/PF convoluted set of rules (they'll always be my first love in gaming, dense as they are), just as it works reasonably well for 1e TSR modules. Okie doke. That lessens my concern about conversion to some extent. The game I have in mind would be largely impromptu, anyway. I'd rather thought to prep thoroughly so that I could make a successful go of impromptu game sessions, but maybe I can do both (wing the DMing and the scheduled times we play). Normally, one "impromptu" is enough...but, here, maybe two is ok.

Kalshane

First Post
Exactly my experience. Running for a party of 8 with 7 players. It does make conversion a little trickier when the CRs don't match in any case! I added an encounter with a troop of Karzoug controlled orcs and ogres on the Storval Plateau - an opportunity for everyone to get familiar with the new rules and test challenge level without me laying waste to the party.

Yeah. I had them get in a fight with stone giants and cave bears on their way back to Sandpoint from Jorgenfist so we could try out the new rules against monsters they had just fought in PF to get a feel for what's different. They stomped them pretty easily.

Freezemaw scared the crap out of them, though. As they were messing with the Sihedron statues, I was describing the ever-intensifying blizzard. Because of the blizzard and the fact they were all distracted trying to get the keys out of the statues, I gave them disadvantage on their perception checks and Freezemaw rolled a natural 20 for stealth. Nothing like opening combat with a white dragon diving out of storm and hitting the whole party with his breath weapon while they've got their pants around their ankles. :) It would have gone far worse for them if I ever rolled higher than a 2 on his breath recharge. (I did use an adult white dragon, with some modifications, since it was much closer in CR to a PF Ancient white. They probably could have killed an ancient, based on how things went, but they probably would have had some deaths in the process.)

I'll give that one a go!

I like it because it's really easy math to do on the fly if I haven't had a chance to do a full conversion ahead of time.

I haven't been playing the sin elements particularly. It's not really our thing. As for Runeforge - things were touch and go in Gluttony, I turned Pride and Lust into pretty-much roleplay only sections, they fought/fled for their very lives through Wrath, desperate for the exit. I dropped the Sinspawn entirely (but had more Karzoug orcs coming through the gate in pursuit and chasing them through the wing. It was all a bit fighty).

I actually flat-out had the players vote for what sin they felt exemplified each character before starting the chapter. I told them it would have bearing on the game, but it wasn't a "you need to have all your bases covered" situation. Led to a really interesting discussion of how each of the players saw the other characters as well as their own.

They RPed their way through Lust (and actually hinged on something else they could offer Delvahine: a way to escape Runeforge, which is why they're currently tackling Wrath, as they're seeking the Master's Circle mentioned in Vraxeris' journal.) Gluttony went far easier than I expected. For the mummies I basically gave them mummy lord stats, but only standard mummy actions. They hit hard, but between their slow movement speed and fire vulnerability, they went down pretty quickly. Plus the PCs all made their saves vs. the mummy rot when they were hit. I had the dread zombie ambush them while they were busy fighting the armored clay golem, but other than munching away 1 point of the cleric's Intelligence, he didn't accomplish much before he was put down. I actually had an invisible Azraven (using normal lich stats, but only a 14th level caster as per the AP) ambush them in the Hall of the Patriarchs (the room with all the giant pits) for some fun with Telekinesis, but they forced him to flee via Dimension Door back to his laboratory after one round. The final fight with him went a little better, as he had two freshly-created flesh golems and some wraiths as backup, but they still took him out pretty quick. The only thing that scared them was when he hit the rogue with his lifelink lair ability.

I love that.

Magic was the most difficult element when bringing the PCs over from PF. In the end I just scaled down all weapon bonuses, ability buff items etc. and let attunement handled the rest. They got used to it pretty quickly. Overall feedback from the weekend (we ran through the whole book over a three day weekend away) was that 13th level felt like 7th level and that this was a good thing.

Thanks. I'm trying to take advantage of the ethos of magic items being less common in 5E by making what they do find a little more memorable.

When we converted over, I completely overhauled their magic items, pretty much eliminating all the "I have this because if I don't the math doesn't work" minor bonus items and winnowing them down to a small handful of items that were responsible for important events in the campaign previously or iconic to the character in question. I also gave them all one customized magic item that allowed them to help replicate abilities their characters had in PF that didn't exist in 5E.

I'm doing the same thing with enemy equipment, removing generic magic weapons and armor and trying to get down to one or two items that are essential to the character (if its a named NPC. Unnamed NPCs get no magic items at all.)

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I've been using a similar "lazy" method to great enjoyment as well.

It's gotten me through 5 BECMI modules (and we're on to the sixth, which I am very excited about because it is Isle of Dread), and the first two books of Carrion Crown.

Have been doing Ilse of Dread. The big thing I did was a conversion of the random encounter tables, as they had every B/X creature in their and I wanted to make them more X1 specific.

In hindsight, I could have just rerolled...but it has been fun. And very driven by the players and the DMs own malicious improv.

Remove ads