Pathfinder 1E Which Pathfinder Resources are "Must Haves?"

paradox42

First Post
Tally another vote for Core, APG, and Bestiary 1- though it's worth noting that Bestiary 2 contains updated rules which supersede Bestiary 1's. Which is why I'll put in a second tier of "should-haves," especially if you're the GM: Bestiary 2, GMG, UM, and UC. UM and UC are full of rules variants, yes, but each one has many new class options that one should know about even if one doesn't use the variants. Magus is a prime example of that, but also on the list would be the Cavalier Archetypes (APG doesn't have any, and UM didn't have any since it was magic-focused) and some of the other Archetypes in UC (the Tactician Fighter comes to my mind- think Fighter using the Cavalier's Teamwork tactics and feats, which IMO is one of the best features of the Cavalier class).

On a side note, I've seen several people complain about UM and UC being "broken," but I just don't see it. I can only assume these people play the game very differently from me, because I haven't had a problem with anything from those books so far. Admittedly, I only play once/week and ran a high-power, high-magic game (which is why I suggest the people considering those books "broken" must be used to very different game styles from myself).

tylermalan

First Post
A couple of questions...

First, what is the Page 55 Project?

Second, why is the Bestiary 2 so essential? A lot of people have mentioned it, but almost every time I've ever bought a second "monster book" for a game I've regretted it, mainly because I just didn't use it so much. 3.5E and 4E are the most recent examples - I own two monster manuals for both games and certainly don't feel like I needed the second one.

Edit:

The only other book I consider is the small softcover book detailing the different deities -- Gods & Magic. The "Faiths" books are nice if you have a cleric in need of that information or if you really need yet further deity information, but I'm not sure it'd be essential to most games. I certainly find "Faiths of Balance" very interesting.

So, there is a review on Amazon for Gods and Magic that says it is not worth buying if you already have the Inner Sea World Guide. True? False?

And lastly, does no one buy the smaller paperback books that I mentioned in my OP? Interested in opinions on those, as well.

Last edited:

IronWolf

blank
I dissent.

"Must" is not the same as "nice".

The "must haves" are , in my opinion, The Core RuleBook, the APG and Bestiary 1.

I agree with this. When making a "must have" list for Pathfinder that would be the Core Rulebook, the APG and Bestiary 1. If you have those books then I think you have the "must haves" for Pathfinder.

All else is nice, cool even. But not a "must", imo.

Steel_Wind said:
Now -- what would I get, were I you? Every Paizo hardcover, in the following order of acquisition: Bestiary 2, GameMastery Guide, Ultimate Magic, Ultimate Combat.

Yep, also in agreement - though I might rank GameMastery Guide just a little lower if you aren't the one running the game. It is a great book, but more advantageous to the GM.

Steel_Wind said:
After that, it really does depend on taste and the campaign you are running.

Yep. There are so many cool books for Pathfinder and beyond the ones already mentioned. They tend to be more niche focused though, so they may or may not apply to the focus of ones campaign or personal interest. So from these pick and choose the ones that catch your fancy.

Vitulv

First Post
I only use the Core Rules and the Bestiary, so thats my "must-haves".

That said, I'm planning to get the Bestiary 2 and the Game Master Guide, just because they seem like nice products.

Some of my players use the APG, but I would'nt consider it a must, even if it brings some really nice additions for players.

Qik

First Post
As others have said, the degree to which a book is necessary comes in part from which classes catch your interest. Myself, I'm really keen on both the alchemist and the summoner, which made UM pretty important for the archetypes it gave (both classes got some great options). As has already been pointed out, UC is huge for monks - having seen what it offers, I couldn't play a monk without drawing on the various goodies it offers. But again, these are pretty circumstantial, so it really depends on which classes/mechanics/etc interest you.

enrious

On a side note, I've seen several people complain about UM and UC being "broken," but I just don't see it. I can only assume these people play the game very differently from me, because I haven't had a problem with anything from those books so far. Admittedly, I only play once/week and ran a high-power, high-magic game (which is why I suggest the people considering those books "broken" must be used to very different game styles from myself).

That actually sounds like a fun campaign.

I can't speak for others, but for me, "broken" doesn't just imply over-powered. It means that it is broken mechanically - it doesn't do what it intends, it makes you worse for using it (unless that was an express goal), it makes you better for using it (out of proportion to other options or other classes/races/stuff) or due to horrible editing/playtesting, it is literally unplayable.

There are things in both UM and UC I'd allow and were I playing, things from both I'd consider.

However, compared with other books in the core line, they amount of material that is "broken" is much higher.

Ask me again after the errata is released and I may have a different opinion on them (especially UC), but for now it is what it is.

In any event, gotta echo CRB + APG + Bestiary 1 + Bestiary 2 as the absolute must haves.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
A couple of questions...

First, what is the Page 55 Project?
It was one of those silly things that happened in the early days of the interweb, after Mosaic and its kin started being used.

The original version was the text of Page 55 from a bunch of books.

Later this was reduced to just the first paragraph, both for space and for legal reasons.

Let me see if there is an archive somewhere....

Ah, found a current incarnation. :) Not updating as quickly, and now treated as a blog.

Page 55

This is a collection of excerpts from random books. All excerpts are from page 55, the first full paragraph.

No rhyme or reason, just something that... happened.

The Auld Grump

Steel_Wind

Legend
Kaer Maga seems pretty awesome. Where in the setting is it?
As mentioned it is in Varisia. The following products directly concern or are set in Kaer Maga:

City of Strangers
The Godsmouth Heresy
(Stand Alone Level 1 PFRPG module)
Pathfinder Society Scenario #51 City of Strangers Pt 1: The Shadow Gambit
Pathfinder Society Scenario #52 City of Strangers Pt 2: The Twofold Demise

Also, has anyone read Rule of Fear?
Yes, I have.

If you are going to run Carrion Crown Adventure Path or set your campaign in Ustalav, this would be a "must have" book. Otherwise? Probably not. It is a Chronicles Setting book which is highly particular to the Ustalav Region.

Remove ads