D&D 5E Which PC would you Haste?

In our 6th level party, which ally (or allies) should the Wizard cast Haste upon regularly?

• Human Twilight Cleric

Votes: 0 0.0%

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah, the fighter is the only clear choice.

I might haste whoever would benefit from a speed boost. The extra attack isn't a big deal but a free dash on top of double move speed could make a big boost depending on play style. Cast a spell with 120ft of movement has options.

If the rogue isn't regularly hitting the foe, hasting them can be the difference between 0 damage and some damage. But since they get a bonus action attack already, they should already be getting sneak attack on their turn so this should be very conditional.

Rogues better choice. Potentially two sneak attacks a round.

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
Rogues better choice. Potentially two sneak attacks a round.
Perhaps I’m misunderstanding you, but how would casting Haste on the Rogue allow it to get 2 sneak attacks? The second attack is still part of the Rogue’s same turn. I can see how it would double the Rogue’s chances of using sneak attack, because if they miss on the first attack, they have another opportunity to hit.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Perhaps I’m misunderstanding you, but how would casting Haste on the Rogue allow it to get 2 sneak attacks? The second attack is still part of the Rogue’s same turn. I can see how it would double the Rogue’s chances of using sneak attack, because if they miss on the first attack, they have another opportunity to hit.
You'd have to use jmartkdr2's trick of attacking with the haste bonus attack on your proper turn then holding your action to attack as a reaction during someone else's turn.

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
You'd have to use jmartkdr2's trick of attacking with the haste bonus attack on your proper turn then holding your action to attack as a reaction during someone else's turn.

Ah, I knew there was something I was missing. I can’t say that my group tends to use the Ready action too often, so I sometimes forget about it.

Ah, I knew there was something I was missing. I can’t say that my group tends to use the Ready action too often, so I sometimes forget about it.
It’s kinda cheesy as well, but perfectly legal.

Generally, you want to haste whoever has the biggest single attack, which generally means rogue or smiter > greatweapon > single weapon > dual-wielder or monk, but there’s exceptions to that as well.

Battlmaster is a solid second choice. Or whoever needs +2 AC.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
The big deciding factor in any of this, for me and most of the time, is who's relying on weapon-type attacks (natural and manufactured). If the haste recipient might spend a significant chunk of their time casting spells, it's not as useful a spell to them as it would be to someone else.

Rogue has top priority, unless the DM does not like Ready Action sneak attacking.
Battlemaster has second priority, and might need the mobility in wide open fights.

Would love to hear from @the Jester or @J-H on why they selected the Warlock or from @Jaiken on the selection of the Wizard. I’m open to hearing about less obvious reasons or even ones that are not necessarily optimal but could be fun all the same.

Remove ads