D&D 5E Which PC would you Haste?

In our 6th level party, which ally (or allies) should the Wizard cast Haste upon regularly?

• Human Twilight Cleric

Votes: 0 0.0%

What if Haste ages you a year like I still have it do in my games? 😉😝😂

This is a fun trade off. While I’m not one to change up spells from RAW, I am mulling a magic item which has a few charges to cast Haste each day (or ever) and has a chance to either act as normal or age the target (and/or caster!) 1 to 10 years.

the Jester

Legend
Would love to hear from @the Jester or @J-H on why they selected the Warlock or from @Jaiken on the selection of the Wizard. I’m open to hearing about less obvious reasons or even ones that are not necessarily optimal but could be fun all the same.
The warlock often has the ability to push out pretty good damage, and can sometimes combine something weird or interesting with e.g. Disengage or Dodging.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm in the camp that the rogue is the clear stand-out. They're effectively doubling their total damage for the round while the fighter is theoretically +50% (2 attacks + 1) but in reality probably less as they have a limited amount of Battlemaster Dice, so all it's doing is moving some damage up from a later round. If and only if the Moon Druid is in a form with a single large attack are they worth it - their AC is so low that the +2 isn't as big a difference.

After that - absolutely no one except in corner cases like needing movement for a chase. Save it for another battle, use Concentration for something else, save the slot, whatever.

But wait, let me check Soulknife...
Ah, they are gimped in terms of opportunity attack. They can only manifest their blade on an attack action, and a bonus action after an attack action assuming your other hand is free. So they are left with no weapon in hand to attack on someone else's turn. So they would need to carry a normal weapon in their other hand, which loses out on their bonus attack. Plus they can't use things like Homing Strikes with an opportunity attack. Wow, this may be the worst rogue subclass to take advantage of haste.

I guess the best way for the Soulknife to take advantage of haste would be either:
1. One hand empty, other with finesse or ranged weapon. Steady aim bonus action for Advantage, but no movement allowed. Haste action attack. Normal action Ready to attack after whomever goes next.
2. (Drop dagger being held.) Both hands empty. Haste attack. If miss, bonus action psychic blade attack to deliver SA. (If hit, then used BA in whatever way makes the most sense.) Free action draw weapon, likely dagger for finesse & range. Assumes a bandoleer with a bunch of daggers on it, which is common in D&D art. Because every round you'll be dropping them to have both hands free.

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm in the camp that the rogue is the clear stand-out. They're effectively doubling their total damage for the round while the fighter is theoretically +50% (2 attacks + 1) but in reality probably less as they have a limited amount of Battlemaster Dice, so all it's doing is moving some damage up from a later round. If and only if the Moon Druid is in a form with a single large attack are they worth it - their AC is so low that the +2 isn't as big a difference.

After that - absolutely no one except in corner cases like needing movement for a chase. Save it for another battle, use Concentration for something else, save the slot, whatever.

But wait, let me check Soulknife...
Ah, they are gimped in terms of opportunity attack. They can only manifest their blade on an attack action, and a bonus action after an attack action assuming your other hand is free. So they are left with no weapon in hand to attack on someone else's turn. So they would need to carry a normal weapon in their other hand, which loses out on their bonus attack. Plus they can't use things like Homing Strikes with an opportunity attack. Wow, this may be the worst rogue subclass to take advantage of haste.

I guess the best way for the Soulknife to take advantage of haste would be either:
1. One hand empty, other with finesse or ranged weapon. Steady aim bonus action for Advantage, but no movement allowed. Haste action attack. Normal action Ready to attack after whomever goes next.
2. (Drop dagger being held.) Both hands empty. Haste attack. If miss, bonus action psychic blade attack to deliver SA. (If hit, then used BA in whatever way makes the most sense.) Free action draw weapon, likely dagger for finesse & range. Assumes a bandoleer with a bunch of daggers on it, which is common in D&D art. Because every round you'll be dropping them to have both hands free.

In CoS we had a soulknife. He was my favorite weapon (as an order cleric).

Then the Sorcerer started hasting him so I used my abilities on the sword and board fighter. Throwing slow on them and hasting the rogue bascally carried us.

J-H

Hero
Would love to hear from @the Jester or @J-H on why they selected the Warlock or from @Jaiken on the selection of the Wizard. I’m open to hearing about less obvious reasons or even ones that are not necessarily optimal but could be fun all the same.
I'm not sure exactly what the Warlock's build is, but there are a few plausible reasons - although a moon druid is probably the optimal choice since it's probably one extra attack for 2d8+4 or so on a low-AC chassis.

If it's a melee warlock, they tend to be a bit squishy and can benefit from the defensive boosts plus the extra attack.
If it's a EB-lock, then the extra speed lets the warlock reposition to get better firing angles to do things like push/pull enemy squishies towards the fighter and druid. The EB push/pull invocations only work in straight lines. There are also a few spells (Arms of Hadar, Shadow of Moil, etc.) that work best when the warlock is surrounded by enemies, and Haste enables the warlock to get in, cast the self-origin AOE, and get out.

Remove ads