Which RPGs did you play in 2023?

The Soloist

Adventurer
This year I've played nine different RPGs. Most of them were in solitary mode. I rediscovered Traveller and Dragonquest after 40 years. Traveller is a keeper. Dragonquest is too unwieldy and has been dropped. Dragonbane and Vaesen were great discoveries and I'll keep playing them. BX+OSE is classic for when I feel nostalgic. Fantasy AGE and Modern AGE are satisfying when I want to play heroic action heroes. The One Ring is at the top of my RPG bookshelf as a prestige game with the setting fully integrated into the rules. I will play it more often in 2024. SW Galactic Heroes is a fun curiosity but it is underdeveloped and has been dropped.

Solitary Play:
  • D&D BX (Old School Essentials + Advanced): 30 sessions
  • Fantasy AGE 2e: 8 sessions
  • Dragonbane: 4 sessions
  • Modern AGE: 2 sessions
  • Traveller (update 2022): 2 sessions
  • The One Ring 2e: 2 sessions
  • Dragonquest 2e: 2 sessions
  • Star Wars Galactic Adventures (BX inspired): 3 sessions

Group play
  • Vaesen: 20 sessions, as a player
  • Dragonbane: 4 sessions as a GM.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
  • Grizzled Adventurers
  • Colostle
  • D&D (5E)
  • Shadowdark
  • Pirate Borg
I'll probably be sneaking in a generic Cypher adventure and a Tails of Equestria adventure before year's end, each at the request of family members.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Two games were more than enough for me, mostly because I discovered Modded Skyrim (TM) this year:

D&D (5e): a local group had overflow players, so I bit the bullet and started a game. Of course, I had to implement a couple of house rules: 1) inspiration is available in a per-level quantity, not binary, and 2) long rests provide no hit points, but they restore all of a character's hit dice for healing purposes.

Modos 2: because the GM deserves to have fun, too!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
inspiration is available in a per-level quantity, not binary
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying there. Are you saying that you give out a pool of inspiration points equal to a character's level, rather than rewarding inspiration (vs. the no-inspiration binary) periodically?

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Yup - each day/long rest you get inspiration points equal to character level. I also hand out points for good role-play. One reason is that I don't have to remember to award it if a PC is sitting on extra points anyway.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Yup - each day/long rest you get inspiration points equal to character level. I also hand out points for good role-play. One reason is that I don't have to remember to award it if a PC is sitting on extra points anyway.
I think Tales of Valor the Valiant just gives them out as luck points, for presumably the same reason. I always forget to hand them out, myself, whereas luck points in Pirate Borg -- which everyone starts off with every day -- got used a ton by my group last month.

Last edited:

grimmgoose

Explorer
This year I played:
  • D&D 5E (home-brew campaign)
  • Mothership 1E (played Dead Planet)
  • Savage Worlds Adventure Edition (home-brew Revolutionary War campaign)
  • Heart: the City Beneath (home-brew campaign)
Next year, it's looking like more 5E, while running Dead Planet for a different group. Probably some more Call of Cthulhu.

As much as I love Savage Worlds, it's probably going on the backburner for both of my groups (the warts are starting to wear on some of the players. Gonna give it a year and then dive back in).

As a player:
  • DnD 5e: Dungeons of Drakkenheim
  • Black Hack: Various OSE adventures
As a GM:
  • D&D 5e: Candlekeep Mysteries
  • Black Hack: Against the Cult of the Reptile God
  • Call of Cthulhu: Various
  • Alien: Chariot of the Gods
Currently gearing up to run Saltmarsh in Knave 2e, but that's probably not going to start until the new year.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I GMed:
  • The last few sessions of a Spire: The City Must Fall campaign
  • About 20 sessions of The 13th Fleet (Spoofy take on Star Trek, FitD)
  • About 20 sessions of Stonetop, which is still ongoing (PbtA iron age fantasy)

I played:
  • Finished a Temple of Elemental Evil 5e campaign
  • Played in the biggest railroad I've ever been a part of in a 5e campaign that lasted about 20 sessions
  • The last 10 or so sessions of a Stonetop campaign
  • About 10 sessions of Dogs in the Vineyard
  • About 6 sessions of A Thousand Arrows (warring states Japan PbtA)
  • About 15 sessions of Mouse Guard
  • Just stared a 5e campaign of Descent into Avernus tonight
  • About to start a campaign of The Between tomorrow (PbtA Victorian monster hunters)

MGibster

Legend
Let me try to remember:

Fallout 2d20 from Modiphius. I ran a campaign that went....okay. There were a lot of weeks we didn't get to meet which affected the campaign negatively. It's hard getting everyone back up to speed or keeping them interested when its been three weeks since we last played.

East Texas University (Savage Worlds). I ran a one shot at a game day at my local FLGS and met some new people. I gave with a 78 year old woman making her officially the oldest person I've ever gamed with. I had a pretty good time.

D&D 5th edition (Eberron). This was a fun little game.

13th Age (Playtest edition). They're coming out with a new edition and we're using the playtest rules. Again, we're missing a lot of game days as they're being cancelled at the last minute. I don't think we played at all in November and I only have a vague idea of what's going on. Thankfully I'm not running the game.

Night's Black Agents (The Dracula Dossier). This was by far the best game I played in this year. The GM did a fantastic job, it's a great campaign, and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes secret agents and/or vampires.

Remove ads