D&D General Which school of magic is responsible for things such as Weapon & Armor enhancements and Magic Items?

Which school of magic is responsible?

• Abjuration - protective magic

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Conjuration - transportation and creation of creatures/items

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Divination - revealing of secrets and information

• Enchantment - charms, mind control, influence

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • Evocation - creating matter from nothing

• Illusion - changing the perceived reality of something

• Necromancy - dealing with life energy and death

• Transmutation - change and shape matter

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • It depends on the magic contained within the item

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • We need a new school of magic, like Alteration/Imbuement

Votes: 6 7.5%

Shaping magic
School of Investments
Enhancement Magicks

Maybe a new edition , in many years time, could have a good think?

Or they could be very cool and make Dragonquest 4th edition!!

Shiroiken

Legend
Well, given that spells like magic weapon have been presented as being Transmutation spells in 3rd Edition and 5th Edition, I'd say Transmutation.
I've been using Enchantment, because the school used to be Enchantment/Charm back in AD&D and did more than just mind affecting magic. However, I think this is a good point and will probably switch to it for general magic items. Specific items will still have specific magic types, however.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
The Wizard schools are inconsistent. Some are purpose, some are means, some are process. I find the schools less helpful to meaningfully organize spells.

Abjuration is a purpose − protect (shield, dispel, restore, etcetera). Healing seems like it should be a form of Abjuration. Abjuration might magically enhance Armor to defend.

Conjuration is a process − makes something out of nothing or relocates. Could make magic items suddenly appear. Could make constructs and force fields like Shield, etcetera.

Divination can foresee the future, thus make armor avoid attacks, weapons strike unerringly, also attack from a remote location, and so on.

Enchantment is a means − the mind. Could make items terrifying to debuff hostiles, or distract targets to attack them more easily.

Evocation is a means − elemental energies, could make various weapons and armor, such Frostbrand, Fireshield, etcetera.

Illusion is weird − it is a means, also the mind like enchantment, but sometimes is quasi-real like conjuration − could make quasi-real armor, blur effect, invisibility, phantasmal weapons, etcetera.

Necromancy is a theme − could be ghostly weapons and armor, necrotic weapons, becoming incorporeal, etcetera.

Transmutation is a process − and can mean anything and everything. Anything that "changes" including every spell, is transmuting. In the sense of transmuting elemental substances (like soil and metal) can fabricate weapons and armor, and enhance their material strength, modify their properties, and in the sense of shapeshifting can form natural armor, claws, and so on.
do we make a thread on what a better idea for magic would be?

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
How to "Enchant" an Item

<Transmutation1: Open: Gonna make this sword a magic weapon>
<Abjuration: Open: Hold and protect the following alterations applied to this weapon>​
<Transmutation2>This blade will now be sharper than mundanely possible; +2 to hit </transmutation2>​
<Evocation>Generate Light on this blade​
<Enchantment>when it is willed in the attuned possessor's hand</enchantment>​
<Enchantment><Divination: Autotrigger><Necromancy: Autotrigger>when within 50' of an undead creature</necromancy></divination></enchantment2>​
</evocation>​
<Evocation><Necromancy>Generate Radiant energy; 2d6 added damage to undead</necromancy></evocation>​
</Abjuration: Seal the protective insulation for alterations applied to this weapon>​
</Transmutation1: Seal the alterations to the weapon>

So, yeah, Transmutation is, irrefutably, responsible for applying and sticking magic on an item.

What magics are actually then stuck with/in the "programming" of the Transmutative processes and incantations is dependent on what the item does/is supposed to do.

Sithlord

Adventurer
They call them enchanted weapons for a reason. Imho and this is a confusing topic with no good answer. Transmutation changes the physical aspects of an object. Enchantment changes the properties without the physical change. And that is only in my mind. And I’m a ad&d guy where shield being evocation makes sense 😉

Slit518

Adventurer
I vote for a school of Imbuement, where it is specifically dedicated to the properties of creating magical items.
So, for example their spells would concentrate on giving special properties to objects whether for a duration at lower levels or permanent at higher levels.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
How to "Enchant" an Item

<Transmutation1: Open: Gonna make this sword a magic weapon>
<Abjuration: Open: Hold and protect the following alterations applied to this weapon>​
<Transmutation2>This blade will now be sharper than mundanely possible; +2 to hit </transmutation2>​
<Evocation>Generate Light on this blade​
<Enchantment>when it is willed in the attuned possessor's hand</enchantment>​
<Enchantment><Divination: Autotrigger><Necromancy: Autotrigger>when within 50' of an undead creature</necromancy></divination></enchantment2>​
</evocation>​
<Evocation><Necromancy>Generate Radiant energy; 2d6 added damage to undead</necromancy></evocation>​
</Abjuration: Seal the protective insulation for alterations applied to this weapon>​
</Transmutation1: Seal the alterations to the weapon>

So, yeah, Transmutation is, irrefutably, responsible for applying and sticking magic on an item.

What magics are actually then stuck with/in the "programming" of the Transmutative processes and incantations is dependent on what the item does/is supposed to do.
Pretty sure it's easily refutable.

1e and 2e required both Enchant an Item and Permanency, both enchantment spells.
3e required the spells listed in the magic item itself and minimum spell levels. Transmutation was not required.
4e dunno.
5e Up to the DM, but nothing says it needs transmutation.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Pretty sure it's easily refutable.

1e and 2e required both Enchant an Item and Permanency, both enchantment spells.
3e required the spells listed in the magic item itself and minimum spell levels. Transmutation was not required.
4e dunno.
5e Up to the DM, but nothing says it needs transmutation.
Yeeeeah, 'cept no.

For starters, Enchant an Item, in the 1e PHB, is a Conjuration spell...actually, in print, as "Conjuration/Summoning." Permanency (as makes complete sense) is listed as "Alteration." Which, I am sure a scholar of your caliber is aware, in 2e the school was made "Alteration/Transmutation," as most (if not everything but Necro, I think) was "double" named: "Illusion/Phantasm," "Conjuration/Summoning", and so on.

But thanks for asserting the misinformation with such sureity.

I am not suggesting that 5e, or any other edition, SAYS this is what it is. But Transmutation, not Enchantment (regardless of the "Name/Title" of the spell), is the magic which changes things. Not just literal "form/shapechanging." The magic to make "something" into "something else" is Transmutation, whether that is "visible" or "physical" is not really relevant...though, clearly, those types of spells are obviously transmutation as well.

The other thing that the game has not always been great with, but is definitely presented in places since 1e, is that many many spells are NOT solely a single school.

My point was, the generally vague "rules/rulings/suggestions" for "enchanting items," is like the structure of a computer program. You can have circles within circles, within four dimensional shapes... abjuration runes traced inside an illusion triangle wrapped in a transmutation square. When you "close" that program and "run" it (in a neverending repeating loop, i.e. Permanency), you have a cloak of invisibility.

The combinations of "magic words" and "magic gestures" and practices and forms, sigils and glyphs and runes and diagrams, in infinite combinations.

Some do what you want. Some will do what you don't want. Some done wrong or mistakes made can be catastrophic or result in nothing happening at all.

In any and all cases, what is this "program" or wrapped up package of magic doing? Changing the item into something else. Giving it different properties. Making it resistant to damages. "Adhering" magical effects, and thus their auras, to the item, permanently (though I'm sure ways could be devised in the creation process to mask an item's powers/magics).

At its core, you are changing the nature and properties of the item. That = Transmutation...and all of the individual separate effects (of any number of schools) being contained in the program or gift box or "onion" of the item...pick your preferred analogy.

Last edited:

Remove ads