Which Social Media Platforms Do You Use?

Which Social Media Platform(s) Do You Use?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I've seen claims that something like 1.8M subscribers have left. Looking at the statistics for active user accounts I find that totally believable, as it would be something like one half of one percent.
I've been told those are just bots that Musk promised to get rid of :rolleyes:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
So, you dont consider EN world Social Media?
No. It's a discussion forum, yes, but I don't count such as "social media" the same as facebook or twitter or etc. in part because both the membership and discussion are curated rather than open to all.

More to the point, while in my view posting to a forum is certainly communication it's not social interaction, mostly because there's no here-and-now to it - no face-to-face or even voices over a phone/voip/whatever. I mean, for all you know username "Lanefan" could just be a robot with some sentence construction skills and a well-functioning "old school" subroutine always running. :)

Now if all of us were gathered in a pub somewhere over a beer, THAT would be social interaction! :)

payn

No. It's a discussion forum, yes, but I don't count such as "social media" the same as facebook or twitter or etc. in part because both the membership and discussion are curated rather than open to all.

More to the point, while in my view posting to a forum is certainly communication it's not social interaction, mostly because there's no here-and-now to it - no face-to-face or even voices over a phone/voip/whatever. I mean, for all you know username "Lanefan" could just be a robot with some sentence construction skills and a well-functioning "old school" subroutine always running. :)

Now if all of us were gathered in a pub somewhere over a beer, THAT would be social interaction! :)
Confusing, but ok.

Orius

Legend
Is the "exodus from Twitter" real, or is it just a bunch of hype?

Who knows? I haven't been paying to much attention to the drama over there so I have no idea how much of it is just the usual housecleaning a company gets when it's bought out. I never had a high opinion of Twitter in the first place, so I'm not bothered by whatever Musk is doing right now.

I'm not really sympathetic to social media in general right now. IMO, there's too much legitimate free speech and/or opinion that's getting silenced in a way that I find chillingly Orwellian.

payn

Who knows? I haven't been paying to much attention to the drama over there so I have no idea how much of it is just the usual housecleaning a company gets when it's bought out. I never had a high opinion of Twitter in the first place, so I'm not bothered by whatever Musk is doing right now.

I'm not really sympathetic to social media in general right now. IMO, there's too much legitimate free speech and/or opinion that's getting silenced in a way that I find chillingly Orwellian.
I could stand for quite a lot more gatekeeping. You may ask why allowing people to make up things and lie is a problem? Well, long long after these things are debunked, many folks I know still believe them like stone cold fact. That is far more scary to me than any censor board.

Zardnaar

Legend
Opinion of Twitter hasn't changed since I first heard of it a decade or so ago.

It's the equivalent of eating mushy peas, jellied eels or drinking fosters beer.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Youtube and Facebook (Facebook I limit to family and hometown stuff) Does Facebook Messenger count as a seperate app? Have started using Discord for work related stuff.
primarily use ENWorld.

Ryujin

Legend
I've been told those are just bots that Musk promised to get rid of :rolleyes:
I guess he found that Whoopi bot particularly strident then.

If it was a purging of bots then I strongly suspect that the numbers would have been orders of magnitude higher.

Remove ads