• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

which system for G.I. Joe d20?

Which system would work best for G.I. Joe d20?

• Modern d20

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • Mutants and Mastermind

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spycraft

Votes: 38 58.5%
  • Combination of Modern and M&M

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 1.5%

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
I'm rather curious to see what others think would be the best system for a G.I. Joe game. (action force for the UK people)

Not sure where the best place to place this poll, so here it is. Who knows if theirs a large response I might be willing to GM a PbP.

Modern d20, rank for the characters would reflect their starting level and I would need to make a table to reflect this. Of course not everyone would be of the same rank, their for the levels would be dissimilar. Classes would be the same as d20 Modern

Mutants and Mastermind, all players would be the same level and classless. Obviously the super powers would be removed but the feats and skills would exists.

combination of Modern and M&M, The one I want, but would be a lot of work… skills and feats from both books, damage save, no hit points, classes less characters. Would mean a lot of work for others, and me. Also lot of books would need for anyone to be able to play.

Spycraft, a system I don’t know a lotabout, but I’m curious to see rather or not others think it could pull of GI Joe d20.

Last edited:

ES2

First Post
Spycraft all the way.

I've been talking about a possible GI Joe type campaign with my wife the last couple days, and her response to it is, "GI Joe...uuugghhhhh," but I think it would be a fun game to play.

Spycraft has everything you need for that kind of game. I don't think Modern would do it that well, and the others are just too different for that kind of feel. Combine some elements from Stargate SG-1, which is written more from a military standpoint, and I think you will have all you need for a GI Joe game.

Now, if they would do a GI Joe powered by Spycraft game and a superheroes game powered by Spycraft game...those would kick some major butt.

Morgenstern

First Post
TroyXavier said:
D20 Modern would cover 90% of it. M&M for exotic people like Zartan and Zarana and a few others.

I've got Spycraft stats for Zartan writen (Faceman 10/Fixer 1/Ninja 3 w/ wild talent for Chamelon abilites and Archer Basics/Mastery for his famous assassination). The 'Blank' prestige class is writen -specifically- to cover his brother Zandar.

I'm a bit of a fan :). There's nothing in G.I.Joe that you couldn't model in Spycraft right now, no waiting. The real weirdies (like Serpantor and Zartan) are covered in the Shadowforce rcher books, but they are covered :).

Cergorach

The Laughing One
I think that for any setting that doesn't use heavy magic and is a modern+ setting, spycraft is the best choice. Although D20 modern does have a lot more sale support, and will probably have more users. Spycraft makes the mechanics interesting, almost every level you gain gives you something intersting, but not overpowering. This makes improving yourself interesting, i can't say the same for D20 Modern...

The last time we discussed G.I. Joe D20 we got shut down, but i think that was because th entire game was being assembled, but still, thread carefully.

Has anyone approached Hasbro about doing a G.I. Joe D20 game? I would think that Alderac would be one of the companies that would be interested in such a lisence...

elrics

Explorer
d20 Modern, with GoO's excellent d20Mecha rules for building all the nifty vehicles like Hiss Tanks and Eagle Fighters.

Yooooo-Joe! :p

Well, the vehicles could be done with tricking out the vehicles that come in the books (though it would be nice to have a GI Joe specific set of 'base' vehicles for this), since Spycraft can let you play with what the vehicle you get has. In other words, I suggest Spycraft as well. It definitely fits the feel of GI Joe, and it would require the least work to get running.
Magius out.

Kannik

Hero
Well, I voted for Spycraft, but there are probably things from D20M that could be borrowed and integrated quite well, and a few new classes made/adapted. But otherwise, the Spycraft rules work very well and would be perfect for a show where Lady Jay has Intercontinental Ballistic Javellins that take down satellites. };)

Kannik

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads