• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which version of D&D for young children?

While my daughter is only 4 years old at the moment, I'm planning ahead for when she is ready to play D&D. Which version of D&D would you recommend for young children? Basic D&D? Which version? Or is OD&D (1974) the One True Game™ for all ages?

X

xnosipjpqmhd

A friend runs his kids (avg age 10ish?) game in the newer Basic DnD boxed set rules. It's 3.5 but much simpler.

Roadkill101

Explorer
I would go with Basic/Expert as an initial system to introduce young minds to the hobby. It's simpler in that that there are fewer options (race and class combined, fewer spells, lesser number of weapons & armor to choose from, no feats or skills {except thief}) to have to keep track of when first learning the basic game concepts.
I personally prefer the Moldvay edition as that was what I first learned. BECMI wouldn't be too bad because it has all the rules under one cover and as the game progresses in level (and a new player gains experience) the system introduces a few more advanced concepts (such as weapons mastery).
However, it's probably just as easy to tone down any of the existing later editions (1e, 2e & 3.x) and add complexity as a player devolops their skills at playing the game.
IIRC, several members here have posted toned down versions for introducing young players the game.

Ilium

First Post
I'd go with a pared-down 3.5 for one simple reason. I realized the other day that the perfect class to start a kid with isn't fighter. It's Warlock. Cool magical powers, with absolutely no bookkeeping.

Odhanan

Adventurer
Griffith Dragonlake said:
While my daughter is only 4 years old at the moment, I'm planning ahead for when she is ready to play D&D. Which version of D&D would you recommend for young children? Basic D&D? Which version? Or is OD&D (1974) the One True Game™ for all ages?

I started at 10 years old with First Ed AD&D. It all depends on you and the child we're talking about. The way the system is approached. When I started, my (much older) cousin ran me through a homebrew T1-4 Temple of Elemental Evil. I didn't know how everything was working system-wise, and it gave to the game an arcane feel I still love to this day.

Now, if you think your daughter might be more comfortable with rules she can quickly grasp, and/or if you feel more comfortable with less rules to work with, go ahead: either Basic Mentzer (the red box) or OD&D will work great. You could also start with Castles & Crusades, if you want a more unifying mechanic (aka d20 system roll up is better).

Go with what you feel comfortable playing. That's communicating the feel, the passion that matters.

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
I would go with Red Book basic, its what I learned on and is a concise and clear version of the older rules. 3e has the benefit of the more intuitive three saves and AC going up, but the complexities of a ton of the system arise quickly.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I would say a pared-down and simplified subset of whatever the current rules are; no reason to teach her bad habits from an old edition she'll just have to unlearn later. Or, I'd say that D&D isn't the RPG you want her starting with at all. Maybe something with a simpler system altogether like Zorcerer of Zo or Fate 2.0. Really, really simple character sheets and simple add-subtract math.

Griffith Dragonlake said:
While my daughter is only 4 years old at the moment, I'm planning ahead for when she is ready to play D&D. Which version of D&D would you recommend for young children? Basic D&D? Which version?
IMO, the best edition to introduce children to the game is the 1983 Menzter Basic set. It's designed to introduce young players to the game, and it does it well, with a straightforward set of rules.

Engilbrand

First Post
You're probably looking at a bit into the future, right? I would recommend waiting until 4E comes out and looking at that. It's been updated to what the current generation seems more interested in. If she watches fantasy shows, super beings don't have the "wait until tomorrow" mechanic. Fast action and easy numbers are the way to go. As it stands, it looks to me like 4E will be perfect for anyone to start playing and have fun with.
If not that, I'm in a game right now that uses the Underdark as the setting but uses the New World of Darkness rules as the system. Let me tell you, it's pretty damn simple. I also like how it's open enough to allow just about anything. It's a lot more customizable than D&D, in my opinion. 7 dots total between Intelligence and Academics? Roll 7 dice. How many are 8, 9 or 10? Roll the 10s again. Total? 4 Successes? You know a lot!
Might seem a bit more complicated than roll a d20 and add your numbers, but I could see a kid going "11 + 3 + 5 + 2 - 4?"

Remove ads