• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which version of D&D for young children?

JoeBlank

Explorer
You are planning pretty far ahead. There may be many more options by the time she is ready, especially if you like 4.0 and they publish basic versions.

I started my sons with the D&D basic set, but I was the DM so they did not have to know all the rules.

The attention span point is a good one. Run short sessions, and know when to quit.

grodog

Hero
Griffith Dragonlake said:
While my daughter is only 4 years old at the moment, I'm planning ahead for when she is ready to play D&D. Which version of D&D would you recommend for young children? Basic D&D? Which version? Or is OD&D (1974) the One True Game™ for all ages?

I've started Ethan (who's 3 and a 1/2) awhile ago with Endless Quest Books (we map as we explore :D ). We haven't dug into the real rules yet, but my hunch is that I would start him with Holmes Basic or Moldvay Basic (not sure which, haven't read either in years).

frankthedm

First Post
Try this box set...
Dungeons_and_Dragons.jpg

Silver Moon

Adventurer
For kids that young I wouldn't use D&D at all but instead find a copy of "Fuzzy Heroes" - it teaches all of the main concepts of minuatures gaming at a level they can easily grasp.

I've used AD&D1E for my kids when they were in the 6 to 11 age range which worked although I did make the game focus on problem solving rather than monster killing.

I've gamed with my former Boy Scout Troop before (age range 12 to 17) where I've found the OD&D Red Box set works best.

I'd steer clear of 3E for new younger players as they usually don't have the patience to do the character generation.

wolfpunk

First Post
My wife is expecting in June, and I have purchased the Castles and Crusades to read to the baby in the womb, since I heard that reading to the baby in the womb is a good thing. In response my wife has purchased ear plugs so that she doesn't have to listen to me, but I figure I can start playing with the child a year or two sooner by doing this.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads