D&D 5E Which version of D&D would you like 5E to resemble most?

Which version of D&D would you like 5E to resemble most?

• OD&D

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • OD&D with unified, d20 mechanics

• AD&D

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • AD&D with unified, d20 mechanics

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • BECMI

• BECMI with unified, d20 mechanics

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • 3rd Edition

Votes: 23 43.4%
  • 4th Edition

Votes: 5 9.4%

• Poll closed .

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
Which version would you like 5th edition to resemble most? I've included quasi-editions as well, that would strive to keep the feel of a given edition but would modernized that edition by using the unified mechanics of d20 games (ascending AC, d20+bonus=skill, ability and attack rolls, etc).
Also, I've made no differentiation between 1st and 2nd edition AD&D, various versions of Basic D&D, 3rd edition and 3.5, and 4th edition and Essentials... because they're pretty much the same game at their core.

1] OD&D
2] OD&D with unified, d20 mechanics
3] AD&D
4] AD&D with unified, d20 mechanics
5] BECMI D&D
6] BECMI with unified, d20 mechanics
7] 3rd Edition
8] 4th Edition

PS: I've somehow posted this to the D&D Legacy forum instead of the New Horizons forum. Sorry for that.

Last edited:

kitcik

Adventurer
I voted AD&D with D20 mechanics. If we could work that out, it would be fantastic.

Also, a bit of a blend of AD&D and 3E - no skills or feats, but more classes and maybe PrCs and remove racial limits. That would open up character customization without losing the AD&D feel (I think...).

dangerous jack

First Post
Tricky question. I definitely think it must have d20 mechanics. And I really don't want to lose some of the brilliant 4e innovations. And I have very fond memories of AD&D. But my biggest hope is that it's as accessible, easy to pick up and start playing, and whimsical as BECMI. So I voted for "BECMI with d20 mechanics".

Li Shenron

Legend
I hope it doesn't resemble too much any previous edition...

My favourite edition was 3.0, but if 5e resembled it a lot, why would I buy it? I already have it! :p

If it resembles closely any other edition, why would I buy it? I already know I'm not going to like it more than my 3.0! :cool:

These don't mean that I want it to be totally different. Just enough different (but with all the sacred cows alive and intact!).

Remove ads