D&D 5E Which Virtual Table Top are you using right now and what do you like best about it?

Which virtual table top (VTT) platforms have you used in your 5e games?

Hussar

Legend
LOL.

Nice dodges there boys and girls. Note, not a single comment on any of the criticisms of actual content, but, rather, we're going to have a nice pedantic wank about a single line out of a half dozen or so. Taking things out of context and then arguing that point rather than anything of substance. Yup, this feels very familiar.

Ok, @Lord Entrails, you got me. You win the pedantic point that I should not have said every. Congratulations. Have a cookie. Heck, even have some posrep for exceeding pedantry. Well done you.

Yeah, this is feeling WAY too familiar. I'm out.

Nardgrog

Villager
The easiest to homebrew is:
D&D Beyond + Beyond 20 extension for your browser + Discord to see the rolls.

Dungeonfog + Zoom for the maps. I use the zoom annotation display spell effects and sticky notes for windows to display statuses.

Oofta

Legend
Who knew that VTT software could be so contentious?

People like what they like. (shrug) Nobody really needs to explain further.

In my case it's more that I didn't have time to research multiple options extensively so did some quick googling and made a decision. What I settled on works well enough for what we need and even if I don't particularly like the tool, no arguments for other tools have been particularly compelling.

Who knew that VTT software could be so contentious?

People like what they like. (shrug) Nobody really needs to explain further.
lol, you haven't read many of the related threads on here have you? Some folks just want to fight and not discuss civilly. And when you refuse to engage they complain. But best that the 'fight' is over for now, if it ever began.

Hussar

Legend
lol, you haven't read many of the related threads on here have you? Some folks just want to fight and not discuss civilly. And when you refuse to engage they complain. But best that the 'fight' is over for now, if it ever began.
Oh, this is a mistake.

Let's just be absolutely clear here. This all started as I was defending a criticism about FG, but, did agree that the UI was fugly. That's all I said. This turned into me being dogpiled by three different posters, including you @LordEntrails calling me a troll, saying I'm stupid, and attacking me personally.

When I posted a series of criticisms of FG, known issues that are hardly news, you instead decided to ignore anything of substance and focus on a pedantic point that really didn't mean anything.

But yeah, I'm the one who just wants to fight and not discuss civilly. Sure.

Just wanted to set the record straight here.

Eric V

Hero
MapTool. I can understand that it might be a bit onerous to have all the players download the software, but I ran a game for my son and his friends during the pandemic (poor kids couldn't see each other, never got a prom or convocation...so to make up for all that they got to play in a 13th Age game!), and after some initial issues it was smooth.

Custom frameworks, macros that do all the work (but a dice roller for spontaneous stuff), good fog-of-war and lighting features...and at this point I have a huge library of maps and tokens. It's free, too. At this point, I have complete campaign files for several adventures; the files can tend to be a bit big (especially if one is running an adventure the scope of Eyes of the Stone Thief).

We tried Roll20 with another group and found there was lag and a few other issues...and it didn't feel as vibrant? I wasn't the DM for that one, so maybe it was an issue there, I can't say.

We use discord for voice and background music.

Oh, this is a mistake.

Let's just be absolutely clear here. This all started as I was defending a criticism about FG, but, did agree that the UI was fugly. That's all I said. This turned into me being dogpiled by three different posters, including you @LordEntrails calling me a troll, saying I'm stupid, and attacking me personally.

When I posted a series of criticisms of FG, known issues that are hardly news, you instead decided to ignore anything of substance and focus on a pedantic point that really didn't mean anything.

But yeah, I'm the one who just wants to fight and not discuss civilly. Sure.

Just wanted to set the record straight here.
This is certainly not the way I remember the conversation developing. So much so that I'm concerned I may have come across in a way I certainly don't wish to and just to be sure I've gone back through the post history of this thread just to see. And here's what I found;

We both post a few times in this thread with nothing of note. (i.e. no exchange or response to each other, no significant comments).

Then I make this comment in response to MNBlockhead;
Sshhh! Don't say that out loud! How dare you imply that different people want different things.

Don't you know, one person's opinion is always correct and other's view on user interface are not permitted :)
Which elicited a response and exchange with Oofta who got that my comment was meant as humor.

Then apparently out of no where, as you had mot been tagged, mentioned or seemingly otherwise referred to reply with this;
Wow. Whodathunk that criticizing the all mighty FG would drag out the usual ardent defenders.

Ok, let's talk. <snip for brevity>

But, sure, I'm just trolling. I'm soooo sorry for thinking the FG UI is ugly and saying a single negative thing about the program in the same post where I was defending the program. :erm: I'll just go back to pointing out that Fantasy Grounds, for the most expensive option on the market, lacks basic functionality that has been around for TWENTY YEARS in free options.
Which quite frankly was baffling. Because I see no statements from anyone in this thread that are even remotely those of an "ardent defender". Perhaps you were referring to me as a "usual ardent defender"? But if you had actually read my posts, I put just as many qualifiers on my statements about why I like FG for my use case as you did about what you do and don't like about FG. I also don't see any posts calling or even inferring you are "trolling". Yes there were mentions of trolls in the humorous exchange between Oofta and myself, but humor man, and not even aimed in the general direction of you or anyone at all.

To this, because you had quoted me in your above expression I replied. Calling you out on your false statements and asking to stop trolling, since you said you were trolling. Though honestly I understood you were not being serious. You should have understood my statement was in the same vein as yours.
That is a blatantly false. Please stop making false statements.

Since you said so, please stop doing that as well.
And you continued off the deep end here. (which I won't bother to quote) Saying (wrongly) that Oofta was calling you a troll (which he clearly wasn't as you were again not even mentioned etc). And then you said I wasn't even in on the joke I started, and you tried supporting your false statement with an argument that just didn't support your case. Which I again called you on. And now in the end your response is that I'm being pedantic for calling you on a false statement. And then you are saying I called you a troll. Which again never happened.

No where have I personally attacked you. I have called out your false statements, which you have made at least 3 of now (1 about pull down menus. 2 that Oofta called you a troll, and 3, that I caused you a troll). And I will keep calling you out when you make blatantly false statements because honesty and the truth are important.

It appears to me you are either reading things into posts that are not being written, or forgetting what was previously said in a thread/conversation. It also appears that you seem to think any negative (even humorous comments) is always directed at you, when they are not. May I suggest you take a moment to re-read the thread and reconsider your view of what was said and meant.

Last edited:

It appears to me you are either reading things into posts that are not being written, or forgetting what was previously said in a thread/conversation. It also appears that you seem to think any negative (even humorous comments) is always directed at you, when they are not. May I suggest you take a moment to re-read the thread and reconsider your view of what was said and meant.
Once again I will mention that this is a particular failing that is, unfortunately, quite common.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases