D&D 5E Which Virtual Table Top are you using right now and what do you like best about it?

Which virtual table top (VTT) platforms have you used in your 5e games?

Oofta

Legend
I am wondering how long D&D Beyond will allow scraping of content and use on other platforms. I know that for 4th edition there were a few parsers that could grab the WoTC text from the online subscription, but there were no authorized VTT then.

The one big advantage of FG is the very extensive 3rd party library of modules available. Roll20 has some content, but FG is very deep in 5e. Buy the module and it is ready to run right away.

A public facing API for DndBeyond is in the roadmap, they don't seem to have a problem with other tools leveraging their data.

Nine Hands

Explorer
Beyond20 is free and if you have DndBeyond, you can do practically all of your rolls in DndBeyond for both characters and monsters. So it's a nice convenience feature. It is limited to chrome, but as long as you're running both on the same machine I've found it handy. Lot easier than trying to create all the characters and monsters in Roll20 for me, anyway.

So for example for my Allosaurus I can click to get a dex save, get the DC for the pounce or the attack and randomized damage for the bite. It shows up in the chat (DM only) for monsters, shows up in the chat for everyone for my PC if I'm not DM.
View attachment 126976
Beyond 20 is so good that I started using Roll 20 in person, since I already have a TV on top of my gaming table. I don't have the players connect, they just tell me where they want to move the characters too. I'm going to get another mouse to allow them to manage the map themselves.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Beyond 20 is so good that I started using Roll 20 in person, since I already have a TV on top of my gaming table. I don't have the players connect, they just tell me where they want to move the characters too. I'm going to get another mouse to allow them to manage the map themselves.
Beyond20 integrates with Astral, Foundry, and Roll20 ..... The Astral implementation is brand new.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Roll20 with beyond20, discord, and tokenstamp. I admittedly used beyond20 for those options I had in Beyond, but didn't buy in roll20 (like how Tasha's is half the cost for Beyond). Then I felt bad for the rest of the players and ended up buying a lot of expansion for roll20 so everyone could have those options.

I'm the person making Rolz.org, I would like to get some feedback on the VTT feature I have been developing, called Rolz Tables. It's free and non-commercial. Rolz Tables is still early in development, but I have a couple of new things planned for it in 2021+. Any input from GMs and players would be appreciated! Roleplaying Dice Roller · Rolz
It is pretty solid so far. Undoubtedly a good bit of sweat has gone into getting this far, webapp development is no cake walk, that's for sure. One thing I would definitely see as useful, from my standpoint, is support for opening more than one window and using them independently, or together. While a lot of people are 'mobile' now, I find that most of my own VTT use is at a workstation with 2 or more screens. It sure does HUGELY improve the GMing experience in particular to be able to spread stuff out over a couple of screens!

Obviously you're nowhere near where a Roll20 is, but you can see that as a good thing. Pay attention to what doesn't work well on the popular VTT sites. Personally I think Roll20's UX is pretty terrible. I think there's a lot of room to go in a different direction!

chuckdee

Explorer
I'm the person making Rolz.org, I would like to get some feedback on the VTT feature I have been developing, called Rolz Tables. It's free and non-commercial. Rolz Tables is still early in development, but I have a couple of new things planned for it in 2021+. Any input from GMs and players would be appreciated! Roleplaying Dice Roller · Rolz
One thing that I appreciate is that you have the API open. I was able to make a free project recently building off of that to help people use the die roller elsewhere (while hopefully making more people aware of what you offer). Keep up the good work!

As far as what I use, we used roll20 this year, but I'm starting my campaign and looking at either Foundry VTT or Fantasy Grounds (I have both).

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
I've only just recently been able to get a group together virtually to play, and we are using a combo of ZOOM, Owlbear Rodeo, and D&D Beyond. I really like the simplicity of owlbear rodeo. @Oofta : to answer some questions you (sort of) asked back in October: I have been able to prep maps ahead of time, and tokens have stayed put. There's a caveat, though: the map and token storage, etc. is "local" in your browser. You have to 1) save the url of the game and 2) prep on the machine you are going to run on. I'm guessing that means if you ever have to clear caches or the like those assets will disappear. (So anyone using owlbear should probably keep copies of their custom maps and tokens elsewhere and not prep too far in advance) I've not tried prepping on a mobile device, only on a computer, but my players have been able to use it on mobile.

Remove ads