D&D 5E Which Virtual Table Top are you using right now and what do you like best about it?

Which virtual table top (VTT) platforms have you used in your 5e games?

I use Foundry for online games.

Wanna give a huge shoutout though to Arkenforge. It is a great program if you are running a TableTV and has very good mapping functionality. I feel like Arkenforge should be better known and deserves some recognition.

Dragonsbane

Proud Grognard
We use Roll20 and Discord, plus a wiki I made for my players. I like Roll20 mostly because I have used it so long, so I have like 400+ maps ready, 100s of music tracks set up and organized, plus you can take any creature from the MM and other books and drag it onto the screen, its ready (except for my minor alterations like adding good saves, etc). I must have 20+ old adventures I made up still in there, ready for different players.

I also use Discord and Roll20. I find both easy to use, although Roll20 does occasionally have lag when rolling any dice (not just 3d dice).

clearstream

(He, Him)
I've been using Roll20 for years but I find their development roadmap extremely slow, and the whole system just underwhelming. Also the quality of the WoTC modules seems to be going down in terms of Roll20 implementation. I can run Flight Simulator 2020 but Roll20 lags my computer like it's a 286.

Thinking about switching over to FG.

1. Is it easy to host games for people to connect to?
2. Do they get new modules on release (and configured)
3. Can I pay for all my players to join, or do they all need to buy a copy? This is the biggest barrier really since I run with a group of 6 players.
4. FG classic or FG unity?

EDIT: I see, I can buy Ultimate and my players can play for free.
1. So long as you can open a port, yes, very easy.
2. Yes. The configuration is overall good. I do find very minor glitches (such as typos).
3. I use the Ultimate version because it makes it far easier to bring new players into the group.
4. At this point, unity.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
We use a three-camera zoom set-up - not virtual. Two pointed at the battle mat and one pointed at me and a dry-erase board. My little experience trying a VTT left me frustrated and I need to easily draw maps on the fly. I trust my players to roll their own dice.

darjr

I crit!
I use Mythic Table and Discord and Avrae.

Mythic table has just released their first and it is a work in progress but it's simple and I can preset maps and tokens.

It's also open source and I'm beginning to dive into the source for it.

Oofta

Legend
We use a three-camera zoom set-up - not virtual. Two pointed at the battle mat and one pointed at me and a dry-erase board. My little experience trying a VTT left me frustrated and I need to easily draw maps on the fly. I trust my players to roll their own dice.

So you move the minis for everyone? Stream the other people's images to a large monitor or TV?

Asking because even when things do settle down, my wife's game will still have two remote people most of the time. I'd prefer getting together with everyone else when we can, time will tell.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
So you move the minis for everyone? Stream the other people's images to a large monitor or TV?

Asking because even when things do settle down, my wife's game will still have two remote people most of the time. I'd prefer getting together with everyone else when we can, time will tell.
Yes. They tell me how/where they want to move and I either move for them or explain the consequences of moving (since it is not always clear on their end). So it might go like this:

Player B: I want to start my rage as bonus action and move towards the main hobgoblin and attack.
Me: Unfortunately, he is a little too far away to reach on a regular move, so you have to dash to get to him, but then no attack.
Player B: Ok, then I will move towards the big rock and ready an action to attack the first hobgoblin that approaches me.
Player R: Can I leap down from where I was hiding above the archway and reach the rest of the party?
Me: You could, but getting past the hobgoblins means at least one will get an opportunity attack.
Player R: I'll risk it but choose me a route with the least opportunity attacks!
Me: Done.
Player D: I move in and attack the ones on the left flank with my quarterstaff.
Me: You get there will no issues. Do you want to end in this box or this box? (points)

And so on.

The hardest part (biggest delay) is when I have to shift the cameras mid encounter because a running combat changes the location some. Thus why I went with two cameras on the mat, one is an above shot that gets a wide area and one is a close shot just above table level that I move around the board as well.

On my end I pin the overheard shot, the players usually pin that as well, but the close up shot is a screen share.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I forgot to mention that a pair of my players (who are a couple) put the zoom up on their ginourmous flat screen - but everyone else is on laptops.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I forgot that I made a quick video of my set-up last week before our most recent session to show the set-up. The one mistake is that I refer to an iPad as an iPod because I am old and technology moves to fast for me my increasingly foggy cognition. o_O ;)

the sound might be a little soft, so if you want to hear me talk, turn it up like freedom rock.

Remove ads