D&D 5E Which Virtual Table Top are you using right now and what do you like best about it?

Which virtual table top (VTT) platforms have you used in your 5e games?

Oofta

Legend
I forgot that I made a quick video of my set-up last week before our most recent session to show the set-up. The one mistake is that I refer to an iPad as an iPod because I am old and technology moves to fast for me my increasingly foggy cognition. o_O ;)

the sound might be a little soft, so if you want to hear me talk, turn it up like freedom rock.

What did you use for the camera mount for the one that gives the overhead shot?

Screenshot 2021-01-02 095628.jpg

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
1. So long as you can open a port, yes, very easy.
2. Yes. The configuration is overall good. I do find very minor glitches (such as typos).
3. I use the Ultimate version because it makes it far easier to bring new players into the group.
4. At this point, unity.
If you use the "Join Cloud Game" option in Unity the port forwarding related issues do not appear to be a problem any longer. At lwast i have had no issues with it.

chuckdee

Explorer
I use Mythic Table and Discord and Avrae.

Mythic table has just released their first and it is a work in progress but it's simple and I can preset maps and tokens.

It's also open source and I'm beginning to dive into the source for it.

Another one I'd not heard of. They're popping out of the woodwork! Again one without the mechanics, and I'm warming up to that. How has your experience using it been? I tried the tutorials and it looks pretty slick, but just wondering if there were any annoyances you've come across in use?

chuckdee

Explorer
If you use the "Join Cloud Game" option in Unity the port forwarding related issues do not appear to be a problem any longer. At lwast i have had no issues with it.

Yes, this has been a real boon. I've had FG forever, but my ISP when I moved wouldn't allow the incoming traffic for the longest time. They do now, but not having to set it up at all is a lot better.

TheOneGargoyle

Explorer
I used to use MapTools for 4e but for 5e I've found I just use Improved Initiative and Zoom.

Zoom has a whiteboard I can use to sketch quick maps and diagrams and keep track of rough positioning in combat (which is all we seem to need as we do mostly Theatre of the Mind), and screen share to show pictures of things.

Improved Initiative keeps track of who's turn it is in the initiative order, AC & health, statuses & conditions, notes and so on. It also has a nice player view which can be cast to big screen TV's when playing in person, or just linked in the Zoom chat channel and each person can view for themselves when playing remotely.

I'll be honest, I love the results of using a VTT and getting right into setting up the maps and tokens and macros and all that stuff and did enjoy it in 4e but those days I ran more pregen campaigns .... these days I just don't feel like I have time (and/or energy?) to put that much work into it especially when I'm running solely homebrew campaigns.

If WotC got their Encounter and Combat Tracker out of alpha/beta and got them all polished/finished, I'd be tempted to use D&D Beyond but I think that's still a while away.

I've asked my players if they would like to use VTT's but they all seem pretty happy with what we're doing atm so I'm kinda just doing that. Huge kudos to you guys who are putting in the work to use them. Like I say, I love the results they give ..... maybe one day some day when life quietens down a bit .... bah ... who am I kidding ?? :)

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Here's a screenshot of Tabletop Simulator:

TTS.jpg

I need to do a shot with the entire table in view.

Xeviat

Hero
I'm using Roll20 for DMing and playing. What I like best about it is that it does what I need it to do, and I like the way tokens are set up and the dynamic lighting features. Mostly, I'm there because its where I started and where I have some of the books purchased.

clearstream

(He, Him)
Yes, that's right! It works well.

I only recently started using the unity version, after running games for years with the previous version.

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
If WotC got their Encounter and Combat Tracker out of alpha/beta and got them all polished/finished, I'd be tempted to use D&D Beyond but I think that's still a while away.

DDB is not owned by WOTC, so it’s not up to WOTC to get the encounter and combat tracker finished. I agree, though, that it will be great when DDB can get those tools closer to a finished state.

Remove ads