• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which was your favorite movie adaptation of a Philip K. Dick story?

Which was your favorite movie adaptation of a Philip K. Dick story?

• Blade Runner (1982, directed by Ridley Scott)

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • Total Recall (1990, directed by Paul Verhoeven)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Minority Report (2002, directed by Steven Spielberg)

Votes: 6 25.0%

John Crichton

First Post
hmm...

Blade Runner was so great for it's time. Classic Science Fiction.

Total Recall gave me mental fits for weeks after I saw it. I love a good brain twist. :)

Minority Report was an excellent film. I highly enjoyed it but time will have to tell how it stands up to multiple viewings...

.... I can't choose. ;)

Goodsport

Explorer
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp It's interesting how the lead actors in each of the films (Harrison Ford, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Tom Cruise) have a different style from one another, yet all three do a good job in their respective film. :)

-G

WayneLigon

Adventurer
You forgot Ridley Scott's 'Screamers', based off the short story 'The Second Variety'. Of course, the movie had almost nothing whatsoever to do with the story, and in fact is enshrined in my mind forever as one of my three most-hated films ever. Maybe you just blotted out this terrible, terrible event :)

Imposter as also a PKD film, somewhat more true to the story. At least the ending kind of was. IMDB says it was originally a 30-minute movie for an anthology, then was expanded. It kinda shows.

Turlogh

Explorer
I liked Total Recall, Minority Report and Imposter but found Blade Runner dull (either version). Someday I will have to find the original stories and read them.

Assenpfeffer

First Post
Great question. As WayneLigon points out, Impostor is also based on a Dick story. I haven't seen it, but have heard a lot of negative stuff.

I had to vote for Blade Runner of the three. It's a classic, though Minority Report blew me away when I saw it this summer.

I like Total Recall as well, but I don't think it's in the same league as the other two films.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Assenpfeffer said:
Great question. As WayneLigon points out, Impostor is also based on a Dick story. I haven't seen it, but have heard a lot of negative stuff.

It was.. OK. Definately a renter. It wasn't terrible, but it was drawn-out too long. Some definate fast-forwarding is due once the hero escapes from his cell, up until he's trying to sneak into the hospital. Cut all that out, and you'd have a pretty fair film, I think. And cut out a lot of the flashbacks. Over and over again.. whew.

Mallus

Legend
eXistenZ... {or however its spelled}.

I know its not actually a PKD adaptation, it really captures the spirit of his work. Props to you, David Cronnenberg...

FraserRonald

Explorer
WayneLigon said:
You forgot Ridley Scott's 'Screamers', based off the short story 'The Second Variety'. Of course, the movie had almost nothing whatsoever to do with the story, and in fact is enshrined in my mind forever as one of my three most-hated films ever. Maybe you just blotted out this terrible, terrible event :)

I agree that Screamers is a horrible movie based on a PKD short, but Ridley Scott had nothing to do with it. The only PKD inspired movie Scott has been a part of is Blade Runner, not only my favourite PKD adaption, but I think my favourite adapted movie of all time.

In case you're interested, check out the Screamers page at the IMDB: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0114367

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads