• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Whimsy in your game?

Whimsy in the Underdark?

• I like it!

Votes: 249 57.4%
  • I don't really have a strong opinion on it.

Votes: 97 22.4%
  • I dislike it!

Votes: 88 20.3%

Mercule

Adventurer
I voted "dislike", but I'm not sure that's really accurate. I strongly dislike the Underdark, in the first place, because it's absurd. The whole thing qualifies as really bad whimsy, IMO. Really, what's a talking rabbit or invisible cat, once you have a functioning civilization of homicidal sociopaths, talking mushroom people, and and underground "world" with a full-on ocean and enough contiguous land space to be a continent unto itself?

So, in context of Out of the Abyss, I probably should have voted "like it!" Really, any module that includes drow, the Underdark, and the Forgotten Realms should have me about as interested as a ketchup and liver goat milk shake. Despite that, I'm pretty sure this is a definite buy for me -- unless my group takes so long on Princes of the Apocalypse that the next adventure is released and is awesomerer. We'll see if the book lives up to expectations, but catching my attention speaks highly for the way it's been marketed.

Generally speaking, though, I prefer grim and gritty games without pun-ish names, anime/manga-sized weapons, mad scientist gnomes, etc. I'm perfectly happy with more traditionally heroic fantasy, too. Piers Anthony is right out, though.

Uder

First Post
No strong opinion. Have stuff going on with Zugg, Juiblex & Baphomet in my home campaign so I'm buying this for encounters and ideas. I'd rather avoid slapstick humor and silly names, but whimsy fits well with my campaign world.

Quickleaf

Legend
I've never seen grimdark and whimsical as being mutually exclusive themes.

We can get really creeped out by a villainous imp, while at the same time laughing at his inane pranks or humorous eccentricities.

D&D themes are rarely purely one thing and not another. We run games that inevitably have different themes making strange bedfellows. It's the nature of having a group of friends, each with their own ideas, sitting around a table weaving a story together.

From a simple human experience point of view, unremitting darkness is about as appealing as reading a novel where every other page someone gets a pie to the face.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I like it and have used whimsical and humorous in my games, had a drow villain that was a cross of The Joker and the Marquis de Sade (some may even say that that are the same person).

found comedy makes for better gaming and it is the presentation that counts.

TheDonger

First Post
From a simple human experience point of view, unremitting darkness is about as appealing as reading a novel where every other page someone gets a pie to the face.

That's exactly right. Your "dark, grim and gritty" fantasy setting is not any more realistic than a more light-hearted, whimsical setting.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I'm an adult man will bills and responsibilities playing a game of make believe elf magic with several other grown ups.

Oh nooooooooooo, keep the whimsy away from meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.....

C.S.Lewis said:
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

Preach it, brother.

Remove ads