Whirtlestaffs Wizards Academy Action: in-character thread

Leif

Adventurer
KerlanRayne said:
OOC: OK, is this guy a jerk or does he just think that Kerlan is an idiot?
He's NOT a jerk. But he knows Kerlan must be under some sort of tremendous strain if he gives a tinker's damn about kobolds! (Kobolds are some of the meanest, nastiest, most low-down critters out there. Championing their cause bears no resemblance whatsoever to any worthwhile cause in existence.)

And, for those keeping score at home, you have just arrived at the Staff of Life.

Last edited:

KerlanRayne

Explorer
Leif said:
He's NOT a jerk. But he knows Kerlan must be under some sort of tremendous strain if he gives a tinker's damn about kobolds! (Kobolds are some of the meanest, nastiest, most low-down critters out there. Championing their cause bears no resemblance whatsoever to any worthwhile cause in existence.)
OOC: Ahh, so he does think Kerlan is an idiot, or at least misguided. He has no problems with killing kobolds, it's just the idea of forcing them to attack with no hope of survival. It's basically the "If you begin to act like them, you become like them" dilemma. He would also think it's wrong, for instance, to pit two evil creatures against each other in an arena. It's a moot point anyway as he is dropping the matter.
Leif said:
And, for those keeping score at home, you have just arrived at the Staff of Life.
So, did the professor have anything else to say?

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
Durgeon (Male Dwarf Conjurer)

"And I thought I was the grumpy one." Durgeon shrugs his shoulders as they walk on.

"There might be some spunk left in this one yet." the dwarf chuckles quietly and pats Kerlan on the shoulder.

Leif

Adventurer
KerlanRayne said:
OOC: Ahh, so he does think Kerlan is an idiot, or at least misguided. He has no problems with killing kobolds, it's just the idea of forcing them to attack with no hope of survival. It's basically the "If you begin to act like them, you become like them" dilemma. He would also think it's wrong, for instance, to pit two evil creatures against each other in an arena. It's a moot point anyway as he is dropping the matter.So, did the professor have anything else to say?
OOC: How did you reach the conclusion that anyone FORCED the kobolds to attack? They did that all on their own, as I recall. No, nothing else to say.

KerlanRayne

Explorer
Leif said:
OOC: How did you reach the conclusion that anyone FORCED the kobolds to attack? They did that all on their own, as I recall.
If you look back at the original question, you will find that's what he was asking. He figured it was either A) They were sent to a location where an attack was almost certain to happen, or B) He had orchestrated or planned the attack. If the professor had been offended and said 'No, of course not', then Kerlan would have apologized and went on his way.

Leif

Adventurer
OOC: But, you see, Kerlan, the Professor owes no "explanation," "justification," or what have you to the very students who are profitting from the instruction that he provides. If you question the methods that he uses, then perhaps you should not be enrolled in the academy where he teaches? And, by the way, I have just about reached my personal limit for this discussion.

Last edited:

J. Alexander

First Post
Gregory Malfoy

"So professor, lets dispense with the owl :):):):) and get down to base reasons..Would you care to explain the purpose of this littel exercise" Gregory comments

Leif

Adventurer
"Gregory, Gregory, Gregory, we professors are not in the habit of explaining our teaching methods to our students. Just apply yourself to the lessons presented, and, with a little effort I am sure that things will begin to clear up for you. It may, however, take more time than you first think that it will take. Be patient. I will tell you this much: it was necessary to see how you young wizards reacted to real danger and how you were able to coordinate your attacks. I must say, that I found the coordination of your attacks to be, well, shall we say, somewhat lacking. It appeared to me as if you had each made your spell selections without regard at all to what spells your fellow wizards had prepared. You, of course, are free to continue in this manner for as long as you are able to live. However, I submit to you that you may find that you have longer lives in store if you will coordinate your spell selections, each of you choosing those spells for which he is best suited and able to cast with the greatest efficiency and power. At your low level, you may find that it does not make a great deal of difference at this point, but if you will cultivate the habits now, then, later on, when your spell abilities have grown and developed in the areas of your concentration, you should easily find that your facility with your chosen spells greatly exceeds that of your fellows, and, likewise, your fellows will exceed your own abilities in the areas of their concentration. Again, I say that the time to make these concentrations in your spell study is NOW, when it seems to make little difference, because it is through the continued application of small additions that great power will one day result. Trust me on this."

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Whirtlestaffs Wizards Academy, Take Two

OOC: Incidentally, if anyone has doubts about the selection of a wizardly specialty, or lack thereof, amnesty is hereby granted on a limited basis, so that you can make these changes to your characters. Please, please, please, do not do so blindly! Discuss the matter among yourselves in the OOC thread, and wow me with your awesome plan!

You have all graduated from Whirtlestaffs, which is how you became wizards in the first place. But now you have all been doing some graduate study, and maybe doing a little bit of teaching on the side, because you did not have a Court Wizard position waiting for you upon graduation. This is often the way that freelance wizards get their start after Whirtlestaffs, so it's just par for the course, and there is no stigma attached at all. You have all become friends during your time at Whirtlestaffs, and you have made a semi-commitment to each other to continue your association for as long as possible, each of you agreeing to "share the wealth" as much as possible to spread the good fortune that may be visited upon one of you to the greater good of the group.

There have been rumors circulating lately that Prince Yrel, from a nearby kindgdom is expected to arrive soon at Whirtlestaffs with a proposition for some lucky wizards......

Last edited:

Remove ads