• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

White Wolf viciously attacks everyone who roleplays for fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numion

First Post
eyebeams said:
No, John Wick wasn't in that thread and by and large, he's mellowed out since then.

Not in the thread, but that episode was relevant to issue brought up by Nisarg, which I again thought was related to the thread mentioned. Wick just displayed the worst of the storytelling attitude in a time when the masses were rallied behind the new 3E Dungeons & Dragons.

eyebeams

Explorer
Numion said:
Not in the thread, but that episode was relevant to issue brought up by Nisarg, which I again thought was related to the thread mentioned. Wick just displayed the worst of the storytelling attitude in a time when the masses were rallied behind the new 3E Dungeons & Dragons.

I think he was more annoyed at the fact that 3e was being praised for systems that are largely old hat among folks who've played a lot of different games. By Jonothan Tweet's own admission, the task resolution/stat system is largely derived from his work on Ars Magica. He expressed it in the worst possible way, though. But keep in mind that Wick's fave games include Champions (most of his columns for GO were about his Champions game), so he can hardly be accused of disdaining crunchy, rules-heavy play.

Plus, of course, he introduced a D20 setting he intended to develop (which predicted the premise of Midnight, in fact) with a truly awful piece of fiction. I think any disdain he had was best demonstrated by that not going through another edit.

DackBlackhawk said:
As it is, my opinion on gamers is that we, as a group, tend to be more creative, more intelligent, more indiviualistic and very passionate about gaming.
This is a bit of a tangent, but it's my opinion that this is an affectation that gamers often take on. Why would we think that we're more creative, intelligent or individualistic than people who have other hobbies, that can be (and often are) equally challenging from a creativity, intelligence or individualism standpoint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads