• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

White Wolf's secret Project involves Monte?

Driddle

First Post
It'll be a single, 1,300 page, hardbound volume with elaborate notes on each location and personality in the World of Darkness, available only by advance order at a cost of US $350. (Financing will be available, of course.)

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Crothian said:
After what happened with GURPS Vampire, Werewolf, and Mage it seems difficult to imagine that they would go d20 WoD. Also, the d20 bubble has burst and I think it would bother their core fans.

What happened there?

painandgreed

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Er, there is no metaplot in nWoD. :uhoh:

They might mean the backstory.

Even then, what does exist is very, very scant compared to oWoD, and to be honest, it was the backstory and metaplot that made WoD what it was.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
painandgreed said:
They might mean the backstory.
I confess to liking the previous high concept of Mage more, but I think Werewolf and Vampire are improved by the changes (which, in the case of Vampire, mostly means just having a blank slate about the past, which could very well be highly similar to the oWoD, but the vampires just don't know about it).

Even then, what does exist is very, very scant compared to oWoD, and to be honest, it was the backstory and metaplot that made WoD what it was.
For some folks.

I'd argue that the people who most loved the metaplot were the people who didn't actually play the game, but just enjoyed reading it. If you wanted to actually play using oWoD books, it eventually got to the point where you either had to use the metaplot, since the new material was so wound up in the metaplot, or increasingly large portions of the book were worthless to you.

The new system is much more modular (I'll take alternate versions of VII to knowing the address and phone number of the Antediluvians any day of the week, thanks), more crossover-friendly (which everyone decried in the oWoD, but seemed to do anyway) and was scaled back in power levels for the most part.

For me, what makes the WoD what it was/is is the chance to play moody modern horror stories. I didn't need a metaplot for that, especially given that it mostly read like the bad later Anne Rice novels (the ones everyone eventually stopped reading).

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
painandgreed said:

That's probably for the best - I just counted 485 "classic" WoD PDFs for sale at RPGNow.... :uhoh:

Stone Dog

Adventurer
Crothian said:
I never learned the actual behind the scenes details but I know it caused bad blood between the companies.
Steve Jackson and Mark Reign*Hagan cannot exist in the same projects as one another. It is like putting two competing silverbacks in a small apartment.

The thing is, most of the people I know really like the GURPS WoD books better than the original ones. They are clearer, more concise and the rules are easier to jiggle about to where I want them. They are pretty good books and I am glad that I have them, but between the two alpha males trying to work together.... it will probably never happen again.

GreatLemur

Explorer
It is extremely hard to imagind World of Darkness d20. It's so hard to imagine that I'd really love to see it, whether or not such an unlikely hybrid is actually a good idea.

...Which ain't to say that WoD has ever worked quite perfectly with the Storyteller system, mind you. While preparing for a WoD 1.0 game recently, I started to think that if I was ever going to run a WoD game, I'd just use the freaking Mutants & Masterminds system.

The_Old_one said:
All we need now is Rifts D20 :p
Seriously, we do. Or Palladium does. That might be the only thing that could save them, by this point. Too bad Kevin Siembieda's made sticking to his horrible, '80s-flavored system into a point of pride.

Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I confess to liking the previous high concept of Mage more...
Oh, hell, no kidding. The completely boring thing they've turned Mage into is one of the main reasons I'm not even bothering to look into WoD 2.0.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads