• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

White Wolf's secret Project involves Monte?

The_Old_one

First Post
Yep, Will Hindmarch, the line develepor for Vampire: The Requiem has given confirmation of this over at RPGnet.

Hopefully Monte will be along at some point to taunt and tease everyone. I recall his evasive teasing in the run up to BoVD, so I can imagine how it'll get with something of this magnitude. Looks like we've got lots of gossip and random speculation to look forward to over the next 12 months folks.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
GreatLemur said:
Oh, hell, no kidding. The completely boring thing they've turned Mage into is one of the main reasons I'm not even bothering to look into WoD 2.0.
In the defense of the new Mage, picking up a later incarnation of the original version would be pretty baffling to someone expecting it to be wizards and witches (which is what fits in best with the horror theme of the WoD). I love the reality-shaping aspect of Mage (and Mage: The Sorcerer's Crusade as well), but it was essentially its own WoD and really belongs in a totally different universe.

Welverin

First Post
Nightchilde-2 said:
I like d20.

I like WW's Storytelling (and Storyteller) system.

However..

I would no more like to see a d20 WoD than I would a Storyteller D&D.

Part of the charm, for me, of the two games are the systems tied to them.

IMHO of course.

I'm right there with you, at most I could see an OGL version that converted the dice system and left everything else alone. I wouldn't want anything to do with it, but I think it would work for the dice pool haters without copmpletely ruining things.

SnowRaven

First Post
shaylon said:
As to the comments above about Monte being back, who knows? He stated somewhere that he was staying in a closely related field to gaming, which could be writing fantasy/sci-fi.

First thing I thought of was White Wolf's MMO stuff, with Monte Cook doing the "story" and such, but I could also see a novel of some sort. I can't see the byline with the first option, so probably the second.

eyebeams

Explorer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
In the defense of the new Mage, picking up a later incarnation of the original version would be pretty baffling to someone expecting it to be wizards and witches (which is what fits in best with the horror theme of the WoD). I love the reality-shaping aspect of Mage (and Mage: The Sorcerer's Crusade as well), but it was essentially its own WoD and really belongs in a totally different universe.

Before Awakening, Mage fandom (and by that I mean people who got together online to talk about the game) was dominated by people who didn't play the game.* Now it is. I suspect that armchair Mage fans are among those most bothered by the differences.

* For example, there's a basic mathematical problem with the old system that none of the hardcore fans ever brought up, despite it being utterly obvious to anyone who ran the game long enough to hand out XP.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Oh, there were MANY mechanical problems in the old Mage, not to mention the central mechanic basically devolved into a debate any time anyone did ANY of their kewl powers. I instinctively flinched away from the new preference for rotes, but man, it's nice to not have to have a damn debate every time you throw a fistful of dice onto the table.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Oh, there were MANY mechanical problems in the old Mage, not to mention the central mechanic basically devolved into a debate any time anyone did ANY of their kewl powers. I instinctively flinched away from the new preference for rotes, but man, it's nice to not have to have a damn debate every time you throw a fistful of dice onto the table.
We never really had those oft-mentioned debates in 10-odd years of Mage games (a couple in the early days, swiftly resolved). My gripe was with the fistful of dice and the kind of mathematical oddities that eyebeams mentioned, where scaling DCs made higher sphere powers weaker than lower sphere powers (amongst other craziness). I really like the nWoD Mage mechanics and see them as a viable replacement, while preferring the oWoD spheres overall. But yeah, I have suffered from general dice-pool burnout, so the prospect of a streamlined dice mechanic (read: one or two dice only please) that would come with a d20 version of the WoD would really pump my paradigm, so to speak.

Of course, it could well be a novel or something like that (this also occured to me), and I suppose that we'll have to endure several tiresome months of teasing and NDA-related coyness before we know for sure. Hopefully I'll be proved cynically misguided on that front, and we can get a good idea of what is coming in short order...

shaylon

First Post
SnowRaven said:
First thing I thought of was White Wolf's MMO stuff, with Monte Cook doing the "story" and such, but I could also see a novel of some sort. I can't see the byline with the first option, so probably the second.

Now that would be very interesting. Monte working for an MMO that is owned by White Wolf. That would fit with what he has said but I am not sure that is it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads