Whither HARP?

Korgoth

First Post
I know that ICE released HARP, a sort of light/streamlined alternative to Rolemaster, a few years back. I remember hearing some positive buzz about it, but I haven't heard much of anything about it in a few years.

Do people actually play it these days? I don't own it myself, but I've seen the PDF preview (it's a beefy preview, like 89 pages). I wonder how it plays out in practice?

JoeGKushner

First Post
One friends ran several adventurers. The players couldn't get out of their kick down the door game mentallity and never used teamwork and other vital things in a combat system that doesn't favor foolishness.

I don't know where my core book is but I've got College of Magics, Bazaar Annual and the Cyradon setting. $75 value and I'd be willing to mail it out to anyone interested for $35 including s&h with confirmation number to anywhere in the old US.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
I know that ICE released HARP, a sort of light/streamlined alternative to Rolemaster, a few years back. I remember hearing some positive buzz about it, but I haven't heard much of anything about it in a few years.

It's still in production. The science-fiction version of the game is launching soon-- I have a pre-release copy-- and there are still more sourcebooks planned. Scheduling is a little tight, because it's a small company... but they're still in the game.

Do people actually play it these days? I don't own it myself, but I've seen the PDF preview (it's a beefy preview, like 89 pages). I wonder how it plays out in practice?

I'm a third-party publisher (as well as a huge fan), so I'm pimping the game as much as I'm physically capable. I've got two play groups that I've introduced to HARP, and I've got a friend of mine running a HARP game for his friends over in Laramie.

The HARP forums at IronCrown.com also see a good deal of activity, so I imagine that the game is still being played.

As for how the game plays... it's slick. Almost everything you do is based on a Maneuver roll, and all the numbers you need are right there on your sheet. Combat's a bit slower than d20 because of all of the extra variables-- stun, bleeding, maneuver penalties-- but this suits the game well, since combat is supposed to require more caution.

HARP is still roughly class-based, but it's very similar to a point-based system, with the Professions providing extra benefits and giving a discount on skills within their fields of expertise. It's incredibly flexible as written, and the rules are modular so that it's very easy to modify-- I've used the system for everything from high mutation post-apocalyptic (Cloven Fruit Games' own AfterWorlds campaign setting) to a dark take on the Mario Brothers to Dragonstar and XCrawl.

Starglim

Explorer
As for how the game plays... it's slick. Almost everything you do is based on a Maneuver roll, and all the numbers you need are right there on your sheet. Combat's a bit slower than d20 because of all of the extra variables-- stun, bleeding, maneuver penalties-- but this suits the game well, since combat is supposed to require more caution.

HARP is still roughly class-based, but it's very similar to a point-based system, with the Professions providing extra benefits and giving a discount on skills within their fields of expertise. It's incredibly flexible as written, and the rules are modular so that it's very easy to modify-- I've used the system for everything from high mutation post-apocalyptic (Cloven Fruit Games' own AfterWorlds campaign setting) to a dark take on the Mario Brothers to Dragonstar and XCrawl.

Interesting that it sounds similar to Alternity in some ways (though obviously the dice mechanic is different).

What's the science fiction title? I might keep an eye out for it.

Korgoth

First Post
I'm glad to hear that it's still alive and kicking. I've been meaning to check it out some time.

Does HARP have a class/system for Necromancy?

shoplifter

First Post
If Rasyr is around, he'll tell you anything you want to know. I've never actually *played* HARP, but from reading the books I own, I'd love to do so. The folks from ICE are super cool, and it seems like it'd have a nice flow. I like that it's not *quite* as crunchy as RM, but still allows for a lot of freedom in magic, etc.

btw: every time I see Moz live, I nearly break down in tears. Especially the first time, when he played Paint a Vulgar Picture. Absolutely my favorite Smiths track ever.

pawsplay

Hero
What are generally considered to be HARP's weaknesses? I'm just curious, not looking to start a flamewar.

Hm, from memory (don't own the book):

- Character creation is more medium than lite.
- Not as much flavor as some of its competitors, such as Runequest, Warhammer, Basic Role-Playing, etc. Plan to do a lot of world-building.
- Combat has a learning curve to it. Many beginning players will not know how to manage a good balance of offense and defense, and risk leaving themselves open to being hit, which is a bad, bad thing. Compare to something like D&D or GURPS where your defenses are mostly passive and precalculated.
- Somewhat chart and calculation heavy, not big maths, but it's not something you can easily run on the fly.
- Features Grix, the kindler, gentler, less interesting cousins of the common orc, instead of half-orcs or Wookiees or whatever

Remove ads