Who’s a Sopranos fan?

I think this and the West Wing were on at the same time? IIRC. West Wing was the show which said "hey you can get movie stars to do TV!" They both had a role in changing the TV landscape.

Very true. Sopranos was the first of the TV-as-something-like-a-novel shows, where analysis wasn't necessary--it's a hugely entertaining and hilarious show no matter what--but actually rewarding. And nearly every prestige show since has adopted at least some of the Sopranos' tricks and rhythms, from antihero protagonists who really are antiheroes (not just "dark" or "complicated" heroes) to the storylines that push back on the idea of closure, like with the Pine Barrens episode in season 3.

currently rewatching as well. on season 5. Tony was was casted with perfection.

watching it and seeing the technology changes (televisions and phones) etc but other things staying the same

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
currently rewatching as well. on season 5. Tony was was casted with perfection.

watching it and seeing the technology changes (televisions and phones) etc but other things staying the same
I heard that David Proval (Richie Aprile) was in the running to play Tony Soprano. Proval was a good actor, I loved his role in season 2, but man I dont think he could have done what James Gandolfini did.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I heard that David Proval (Richie Aprile) was in the running to play Tony Soprano. Proval was a good actor, I loved his role in season 2, but man I dont think he could have done what James Gandolfini did.
He'd be very different. Part of Gandolfini's performance was his size and physicality.

Zardnaar

Legend
Watched it in it's entirety for the first time earlier this year. I enjoyed the first few seasons back in the day but didn't finish it.

Wife didn't want to watch it but rekented and loved it.

Great from start to finish an no real dud episodes or seasons.

Richards

Legend
I've never seen it, but the first that popped into my head when I read the title of this thread was, "You're a Sopranos fan! Oh yes you are! Oh yes you are!" - said in a baby-talk voice.

But maybe that's just me.

Johnathan

BookTenTiger

He / Him
He'd be very different. Part of Gandolfini's performance was his size and physicality.
He really is a fantastic actor, and you are right he uses his physicality as much as his voice or face. It's interesting that now his son is getting into acting, we will see if he develops a similar or different style.

Remove ads