• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Who “owns” a PC after the player stops using them?

Ondath

Hero
Again, bullying and harassment can be an issue, especially if the Dominated is somehow assumed to participate in some sexually suggestive scenario.

Absolutely, permission is necessary.

Better yet, allow the player to roleplay the Dominated effect.
Again, I feel like the problem here is far more than just the loss of player agency. The example you give is so hyperbolic that I'd like to hope that it doesn't come up in the majority of tables. What kind of games are you playing that the first idea that comes to mind when a PC gets dominated is a sexually suggestive scenario?!

Yaarel

He Mage
Again, I feel like the problem here is far more than just the loss of player agency. The example you give is so hyperbolic that I'd like to hope that it doesn't come up in the majority of tables. What kind of games are you playing that the first idea that comes to mind when a PC gets dominated is a sexually suggestive scenario?!
Requiring permission, pretty much negates the possibilities of extremes, and even of unpleasantness and unfun.

Requiring permission is "respectful", as well as psychologically healthy, and legally wise.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Honest question, isn't that how everyone does it? Most players I know relish the idea of getting to screw up the party for a bit.
Yup... The most horrified reaction I've ever seen a party give was when one player said to the group "oh y'all are bleped" in a voice normally reserved for gming growly monsters while playing a god wizard type control/(de)buff PC is ''oh.. y'all are bleped" after being charmed and told "protect me" by a mindflayer or something.

According to some recent posts in this thread it seems like the player in question was off base because they never considered "I might get charmed and feel the need to unload on the party" when none of the players who have a problem with the usual god wizard debuffs Brit deployed against them proactively voiced that particular red flag

Ondath

Hero
Requiring permission, pretty much negates the possibilities of extremes, and even of unpleasantness and unfun.

Requiring permission is "respectful", as well as psychologically healthy, and legally wise.
My friend, the permission you dream of is essentially destroying all social contract, all nuance, all friendly communication in favour of robotic legal arrangements. That's not healthy, nor is it wise. Sometimes, you don't like a game and that's it. Nobody commits a felony against you when that happens.

Yaarel

He Mage
My friend, the permission you dream of is essentially destroying all social contract, all nuance, all friendly communication in favour of robotic legal arrangements. That's not healthy, nor is it wise. Sometimes, you don't like a game and that's it. Nobody commits a felony against you when that happens.
I know from our own gaming tables, something like the following always happens.

"You are moving to an other town. Can we still use your character as an NPC for the fortress (or business)?"

"My character is relocating to an other setting, and is no longer present."

A secret message from the DM says, "your character is Charmed and now wants so-and-so to succeed".

Etcetera.

This is normal and respectfully asks for consent and permission.

I have played with many groups in many towns. Being respectful and expressing concern about comfort and consent and permission, is normal.

I have seen a game where the DM behaved like a cult guru and a bully, not against my character but against someone elses character. This was a one-evening visit and not anyone in my groups. But I know it can happen.

Last edited:

Yaarel

He Mage
My friend, the permission you dream of is essentially destroying all social contract.
I find it perplexing that "asking permission" would somehow destroy a "social contract".

Normally, every "social contract" inherently requires permission and consent, and mutual responsibilities.

Or it fails to be a social contract. Bullying and harassment are the opposite of "social contracts".

Ensuring the game stays respectful and psychologically healthy is vital for any game that targets a teen audience.

Albeit the only bad actors I have ever seen were adults, not teens.

Meech17

Adventurer
This is something I've never had a second thought about. I've always liked the idea of characters living on beyond my time playing them. When 4e came out we started a new game, set in the same world, but several years after the 3.5e campaign we had spent the last few years playing. It was like a fun easter egg to meet my old ranger, who was now the grizzled old warden of the woods, or to see the effects our actions has caused in the world.

My DM never asked permission to do these things, but at the same time I'd imagine if I had said

"Hey DM, I'm not super comfortable with how you've presented my old character here, and I'd prefer they not have an on-screen presence." He probably would have accommodated me.

This has got me thinking I'll have to reconsider my own game. I'll need to have a talk with my players as to whether or not they'd be okay with me doing something similar. If not I'll have to re-imagine their involvement in my world.

Question, for those of you who are very particular about the usage of your character after you've stopped playing them.

Imagine that you play in a long term campaign, and your character, Jerry the Gnomish Conjuration Wizard reaches a pretty high level. Like D&D tier 3 or 4. Over the course of the campaign Jerry and his companions have bested evil liches, saved countless orphans, liberated enslaved peoples. They're the kind of heroes that Kings and other world leaders request their audience, and Goblin tribes tell their young boogeyman stories about them.

Maybe over the course of the game you and your DM worked together to come up with a new system of teleportation magic, and the DM wrote up some new spells that Jerry invented.

That campaign came to an end, and a year later the DM reaches out to ask if you'd like to play in their next game. You have other obligations and regretfully decline. The DM mentions that he's setting the new game in the same world, and asks how you'd feel about Jerry showing up as an npc. You respectfully ask him not to use Jerry as well.

A few months later you're meeting with this DM for lunch or something and ask how the new games going, and he tells you about it. You realize that a key PC in his story is essentially just Jerry re-imagined. He's a world renowned Conjuror that has developed a new system of teleportation magic, and has since opened up his own school to share his knowledge. One of the new PCs is actually an apprentice wizard at his academy.

Would this bother you? If so, would it be less upsetting if it was fully reskinned, and now it's Alumthora the Elven Conjuror, who while she has all the same accomplishments, titles, and profession as Jerry, she is a new character with differing mannerisms and attitude? Rather than a lazier reskin of like Terry the Gnomish Conjuror?

Also, if you're opposed to this as well, what would you prefer that the DM just acts as if Jerry never existed to begin with? Or are more subtle references to his past deeds okay?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
"My character is relocating to an other setting, and is no longer present."
But....you can't just assert that. Your 4th level rogue doesn't suddenly gain dimensional breaching powers because you (the player) is moving to Albuquerque.

Yaarel

He Mage
But....you can't just assert that. Your 4th level rogue doesn't suddenly gain dimensional breaching powers because you (the player) is moving to Albuquerque.
Yes you as a player can assert this.

The player can assert it, by refusing to grant permission. A player can take the character with them when they reallife move to a new location.

The DM can easily figure out some inworld narrative for what happens in the absence of a character. The simplest solution is vague: the character is off on an adventure "somewhere". Done.

If a DM wants to get into details, the character might step thru an unstable threshold into the Astral Plane, to "who knows where".

Or if the DM and player are personal friends, phone calls can mention what is going on in their respective campaigns.

Remove ads