• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Who “owns” a PC after the player stops using them?

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
As far as I'm concerned, characters belong to players, not to DMs or to DMs' campaigns. If a player leaves a campaign, their character leaves the campaign milieu along with them and doesn't become some kind of retried NPC (unless the player says so). If a player wants to take their character, play them in some other campaign, and then return to mine at a later date, it's all cool—OD&D and AD&D expected that to happen, so I expect it to happen.

Elric of Melniboné could, on occasion, suddenly find himself on another plane of existence just because he walked far enough. John Carter just kinda astral projected for no reason. Who am I to deny any player character the same access to more threats, dangers, and bothersome adventures that make you late for dinner?
I mean, if you want to play your old character in someone else's campaign, why (or how) would I stop you? That doesn't impact what I might do in my own campaign world.

Any other DM's campaign isn't some other world in the same multiverse, they're all separate instances (in MMO terms), unless the DM embraces the idea of the connection. You copying your character to another server doesn't make any ripples on mine.

Last edited:

Greg K

Legend
For me, if the player is still in the campaign, the player has "ownership" and determines whether the character still appears in the game.
If the player leaves the campaign, the player owns the basics of the character minus any setting/campaign specific details. On the otherhand, the DM is free to use the character as an NPC as long as they don't use the character for monetary puposes (edit: the exception for monetary benefit being if the chararacter was created for something like critical role or the player and DM have reached an agreement for monetary use).

Haha

The player owns the pc but in reality you both own nothing. There is nothing stopping the player taking your campaign down the street

The player can’t stop you but it would be offensive to use without their permission

It’s an imaginary thing that is not published

Elric of Melniboné could, on occasion, suddenly find himself on another plane of existence just because he walked far enough.
Every member of the Court of Amber: "Are we supposed to be impressed?" :)
It’s an imaginary thing that is not published
Usually. Might be an interesting legal question if someone did publish fiction based on a campaign (which has certainly happened and will continue to do so) that took off to such a degree that one or more people demanded a cut for their contributions at the tabletop. A single player's case would probably be awfully shaky even there were session recordings and similar hard evidence and the author cribbed dialog directly, but if a player wrote the fiction and the GM wanted to get paid for their worldbuilding efforts and had evidence to support their case? That might be something a judge would take a hard look at if things went that far. Fiction is probably transformative enough for the law, but maybe not, especially if the story lifted actual "box text" descriptive sections from the GM's notes.

SableWyvern

Adventurer
I want to remind people, one owns ones own intellectual property, whether it is registered or not, whether it has a copyright notice or not.
First, no one has yet established in any way shape or form, that the law would consider you to have sole ownership of a character concept that exists in a shared imaginary world, especially one where other participants may (in some circumstances, depending on the rulestet, table etiquette, etc) be expected, in the normal course of play, to exert control over that character, and whose behaviour and history is likely to combine elements provided by multiple participants, both indirectly and directly.

If you do feel that IP Law applies in this instance, that also means you can't play any pre-existing imaginary character without the IP-holder's explicit permission. Are you contending that if I choose to pretend to be Harry Potter in the privacy of my own bedroom lounge room while conducting normal TTRPing, that I am in breach of IP law? If not, then I don't see what IP Law has to do with any of this.

Awfully strong word considering it’s an imaginary thing.
Well I’m being slightly silly as this is a game that is usually played among friends. At the same time say my character is Bob (sorry world builder) and he’s a fighter and suddenly after the campaign ended and the dm turned my character into something they weren’t without getting my permission and the argument is well hes mine now . The only defense is the dm is just an a—.

Remove ads