D&D 5E Who are the famous characters of D&D

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Crazy thought, as I don't know them well at all, but they have the cult following - Omin, Binwin, Jim, Aeofel, Viari, Môrgæn

Eejit

First Post
I want Minsc and Boo merchandise NOW! :D

Honestly when it comes to a 'wider audience' who've never played any TTRPG the Baldur's Gate games give the next level of audience recognition. The original boxed sets of BG1 and BG2 each sold about 2 million copies, who knows how many more in the collection boxes, digital purchases etc. They're regularly listed in "best # PC games of all time" lists.

That's more sales than most of the PHBs throughout D&D history.

Honestly I think the way to make a successful D&D TV show or film is to make it and market it as a Baldur's Gate one, with character like Minsc & Boo, Jan Jansen, Viconia, Tiax, Sarveok, Irenicus. The 'Baldur's Gate brand' carries more cachet than the overarching Faerun/Sword Coast one.

Azurewraith

Explorer
Sorry but i can only put a face to he who must not be named and the evil gods i know that rastalin and elminster are supposedly big players in but they have no face or deeds just names.

Now captain.James Blackhand needs a franchise I mean hes a pirate holy assassin that rides a freaking dragon!

Tekram

First Post
The problem is you are comparing apples to oranges. Its all based upon what books someone read growing up. The majority of people here are just looking at the Wizards settings, however you are missing Shanara Chronicles which was a good impact on the fantasy scene.

Also I don't know how you can put Raistlin, Camron Majere and the Dragonlance gang below the others. Their story was epic, and has cross stories about them. You are talking different worlds here. Dragonlance vs Forgotten realms. There was more basis and people wrote more forgotten realms. This is why you see those other names more.

hejtmane

Explorer
So, if we're living in the post-Avengers world of brands IP, who is the famous and beloved characters of D&D? Admittedly, thier IP stable is smaller and less well known than Marvel, DC, Star Wars, or similar, but who would be the characters to build the brand around in terms of t shirts and action figures and lunch boxes.

To start:
Drizzt is the natural starting point. I don't think any other character has as much name recognition. He's like Superman; loved by some, hated by others, known by all.
Drizzt's buddies (Buernor, Wulfgar) would be easy to sell with him. As would his stable of nemesi (Artemis, etc).
Eliminster.
Raistlin and the Heroes of the Lance. A bit harder sell due to the different world, but probably the only rival to Drizzt in name recognition.
Strahd Von Zarovich. Iconic vampire.
Lord Soth.
Xanathar. A beholder with a name and back story.
Accerack. Iconic lich. Tied to an iconic locale.
Lolth, Tiamat, and other evil deities of iconic races.
The demon lords, esp Orcus, Grazt and Demogorgon.

Who else? The 3e iconics (Tordek, Mialee, etc)? Mordenkainen, Bigby and other spell namers? Who else stands out among the (in)famous of D&D?

Depends on the Era if you talk to us old timers that go all the way back to the old D&D red books (They were cheaper we started with them then went to AD&D 1.0) those characters would be 1984 when Dragon Lance exploded onto the scenes yea yea I know dam old guys and their Dragon Lance

Tanis
Sturm Brightblade
Goldmoon
Riverwind
Caramon Majere
Raistlin Majere
Flint Fireforge
Tasslehoff Burrfoot

Remove ads