D&D General Who can cast raise dead/resurrection spells in Eberron?

Libertad

Hero
I'm aware that high-level spellcasters in the setting are rare, but besides Jaela Daran (who has the powers of an 18th-level Cleric within a specific geographic area) and Olian (who is high enough level to prepare Reincarnate), what other characters in Eberron have been demonstrated to be powerful enough to have access to such spells? I imagine that some prominent healers in House Jorasco can cast Raise Dead or more powerful stuff, but I don't think they'd be commonly "on sale" and the Mark of Healing bonus spells don't include such spells by default.

For the purposes of this question, I'm not including Revivify. This is more for spells that can revive characters who have been dead for a while, be it days, months, years, or longer.

Pedantic

Legend
I can't remember the sourcebook, but I seem to recall a Siberys shard magic item that could boost the Mark of Healing up to Raise Dead. For some reason I think it was a crystal altar?

Staffan

Legend
I'm aware that high-level spellcasters in the setting are rare, but besides Jaela Daran (who has the powers of an 18th-level Cleric within a specific geographic area) and Olian (who is high enough level to prepare Reincarnate), what other characters in Eberron have been demonstrated to be powerful enough to have access to such spells? I imagine that some prominent healers in House Jorasco can cast Raise Dead or more powerful stuff, but I don't think they'd be commonly "on sale" and the Mark of Healing bonus spells don't include such spells by default.

For the purposes of this question, I'm not including Revivify. This is more for spells that can revive characters who have been dead for a while, be it days, months, years, or longer.
Using 3e as a basis (because that's the most developed version of Eberron): In Sharn (according to the sourcebook), there are two unnamed adepts who work with house Jorasco and are capable of casting Raise Dead. Other sufficiently powerful casters are Archierophant Ythana Morr (of the Silver Flame), High Priest Phthaso Mogan (of the Sovereign Host), Mayne Jhaelian of Shae Lias (of the Undying Court), and Lan Hazal (of the Blood of Vol). But other than the two adepts, the others usually have better things to do with their level 5+ spell slots. Three of those religions also have theological problems with raising the dead: the Silver Flame believes that followers merge with the Flame after death and it would be a sin to deprive both them and the Flame of that without good reason, the Sovereign Host believes that after traveling through Dollurh the soul goes on to paradise with the Sovereigns, and the Undying Court believes only worthy followers should have life after death, and that this is best done via the process of becoming Undying. Only the Blood of Vol have the general attitude that death is something to be conquered.

There's also an item called the Altar of Resurrection that lets scions with the Greater Mark of Healing or the Siberys Mark of Healing turn one of their dragonmark uses of heal/mass heal into resurrection, as long as the appropriate components are provided. Keith Baker's on record as not liking that item at all though, as having commercially available resurrections would change the world by a lot – a big part of Eberron's appeal is that it takes a science fiction approach to D&D magic: "If this was available, how would it be used and what would that mean for society?"

Kurotowa

Legend
Jaela and Olian are the two highest level "good guy" spellcasters in the book. Or at least, in the core campaign setting. I don't recall all the supplements quite as well. If we widen the net to include more typically antagonistic figures, the list grows a bit bigger.

Mordain the Fleshweaver might be able to restore the dead to a semblance of life, and Lady Illmarrow (aka Erandis Vol) might have a necromantic ritual up her sleave. But both of them are likely to produce an imperfect result, such as becoming a Reborn. Sora Teraza could probably point someone in the direction of a lost Eldritch Machine that can raise the dead ...if it suited her purposes.

Alternatively, you can always try to Orpheus Gambit. Instead of a quick and easy high level spell you find a Manifest Zone for Doluurh, cross into the plane of the dead, track down the desired spirit, and return with it to its body. In theory, anyone can do it. If they're brave and smart and very lucky, at least.

pukunui

Legend
I want to thank everyone for their answers. Will definitely be useful should I end up running any campaigns in Eberron!
On a related note, Keith Baker goes into death and resurrection in Eberron in some detail on one of his DMs Guild books. A big thing with Eberron is that once souls end up in Dolurrh, they start to fade away. Most religions preach that the souls are passing on to their respective afterlives (that is, they're going to spend eternity with the Sovereigns or becoming one with the Silver Flame or whatever), but no one knows for sure. This can put a hard limit on resurrecting people who've been gone for a while, though.

There's also the Queen of the Dead (inspired by the Raven Queen) who rules over Dolurrh. She doesn't always take kindly to people snatching the souls of the dead back and may send her shadar-kai or even her marut servants after them. Keith mentions that House Jorasco healers will always cast augury before raising someone from the dead, and if the result is unclear or bad, they won't do it.

Another option he talks about is how the Keeper sometimes snatches souls from Dolurrh. While it's unclear if the Keeper really exists or not, one can potentially visit the Lair of the Keeper in the Demon Wastes and petition the dracolich there for assistance.

Also, whether it's because of soul decay or because they are actually united with the flame/sovereign...) most people aren't OK with getting back. Which should give strength to the religious views : "hey child, your mom actually doesn't want to get back to see you again, because she's in a super-awesome place and won't leave...". I vaguely remember KB being on the opinion that one needed extraordinary willpower (= be a PC) to be willing to return, hence no "mass resurrection business" even by Jorasco if it cost them material component and they can't charge because 99% of the time the answer is a resounding no.

MarkB

Legend
Also, whether it's because of soul decay or because they are actually united with the flame/sovereign...) most people aren't OK with getting back. Which should give strength to the religious views : "hey child, your mom actually doesn't want to get back to see you again, because she's in a super-awesome place and won't leave...". I vaguely remember KB being on the opinion that one needed extraordinary willpower (= be a PC) to be willing to return, hence no "mass resurrection business" even by Jorasco if it cost them material component and they can't charge because 99% of the time the answer is a resounding no.
Yeah, that's the other reason they'll blow an Augury or Commune before casting - to see whether the soul is even free and willing to return.

My guideline when running games in Eberron is that Revivify generally works even on NPCs, because the soul hasn't crossed over to Dolurrh yet, but any other form of resurrection will generally fail if used on NPCs.

Remove ads