• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Who can use a scroll

Hereticus

First Post
Can a fighter with no spellcasting classes cast a spell from a scroll? The DMG (p139) says that "Any creature that can understand a written language can read the arcane script on a scroll and attempt to activate it." The scroll mishap table (DMG, p140) says that "A creature who tries and fails to cast a spell from a spell scroll must make a DC 10 intelligence saving throw. If the saving throw fails, roll on the spell mishap table." Would I be correct in assuming that if I make the DC 10 save (as DM I would add the spell level), that I successfully cast the spell?

Staffan

Legend
Check the description of the Spell Scroll magic item (p200). It says that unless the spell is on your class list, the scroll is unintelligible.

Protection scrolls, however, have no such limitation.

tragicjones

First Post
There are two types of scrolls: spell scrolls (p.200) and scrolls of protection (p. 199). The rules for scrolls apply to both types, but spell scrolls have the added requirement that the spell must be on your class's spell list. So only casters can use spell scrolls, and only if the spell is on their list.

CapnZapp

Legend
It really is a tragic decision to have "general scrolls" instead of renaming the non-spell ones into something else (Volute of Protection?), causing so much needless confusion.

It would have been so much easier and straight-forward to only have one set of scroll rules, so that all things called "scrolls" work under the same "must be on your class list" rules that everyone is used to and will assume anyway.

so that all things called "scrolls" work under the same "must be on your class list" rules that everyone is used to and will assume anyway.

Only people who started with 3E and 4E. Players of 1E and (I think) 2E are already quite familiar with the notion of "scrolls of protection" vs. "spell scrolls." :)

SirAntoine

Banned
Banned
Protection scrolls are distinct from spell scrolls for that very reason, so everyone can use them. Think of spell scrolls as extra castings of spells, and protection scrolls are independent magic items. You can add unique scrolls to your game, such as the Elder Scrolls of Zargon #1-5, and Moketh's "Ceremony of the Gelid Arm".

CapnZapp

Legend
Protection scrolls are distinct from spell scrolls for that very reason, so everyone can use them.
I'm not advocating to remove protection scrolls, only to rename them to avoid the situation where the general scroll rules does not apply to all scrolls. (Indeed, those general scroll rules apply only to a vanishingly small percentage of scrolls found in official modules)

The argument "but they were called scrolls in 1/2E" is easily cancelled by the sobering thought that almost everything was confusing and unsorted back then, and that nostalgia is a poor excuse for reintroducing confusion to the game :)

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth (He/him)
I'm not advocating to remove protection scrolls, only to rename them to avoid the situation where the general scroll rules does not apply to all scrolls.

What else would you call a rolled-up piece of parchment with writing on it? Volute sounds a bit contrived and usually refers to the architectural detail.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads