Who Do You Want Illustrating 4th Ed.?

Zamkaizer

First Post
Which illustrators do you want to illustrate 4th Ed.? Are you in love with classic fantasy painting, where the armor isn't ridiculous, the wizards have beards, the poses are static, and realism is the name of the game? Or perhaps you're a student of the new school of fantasy illustration, where the action is fierce, the armor is cool, the mages are punk, and style oozes from every picture?

The list below represents my ideal group of illustrators. I believe it's a nice combination of old-school and new-school design as well as D&D veterans and D&D virgins, and it represents such an eclectic bunch of styles that reading books would never get old.

Zoltan Boros & Gabor Skikszai, Aleksi Briclot, Matt Cavotta, William O'Connor, Scott M. Fischer, Tomas Giorello, Rebbecca Guay, David Hudnut, Jeremy Jarvis, Todd Lockwood, Jim Murray, Terese Nielsen, Paolo Parente, RK Post, Steve Prescott, Vinod Rams, Wayne Reynolds, Greg Staples, Kev Walker, Eva Widermann, Sam Wood, and Mark Zug.

Darth Shoju

First Post
I'd like to see a lot of new artists tapped, with the design philosophy of "practical fantasy", meaning people in cool but relatively practical gear, doing cool things in fantastic places. I'm tired of people posing in front of nothing -- give me some scenes please (not that 3ed has been bereft of scenes, I just think it could use more)!

People I'd like to see do some work in 4th ed (with the majority going to relatively unknown newcomers):

Lockwood
O'Connor
Reynolds
Kormack (I hope that is the right fellow)
Di Terlizzi
Whelan (would he do D&D artwork?)
Pozas (although, I'd like to see him get lots of work!)

I really hate the word punk. Especially when it's used to describe clothes that look like Adam Ant would have worn them. Adam Ant was no punk.

Seriously, though---WAR; almost everything he's done recently I really like. He was always pretty good, but now he's phenomenal.

Matt Wilson and Brian Snoddy. Those two have made Privateer Press the best illustrated line of game products ever produced. Not that they do all the work themselves, but they do a lot of it. They freelance James Ryman a lot too; D&D could stand to use more James Ryman.

Adrian Smith, fresh off his monumental success on a bunch of Games Workshop products. Damn, that fella can paint.

Big fan of most Sam Wood and Todd Lockwood works, but I think the ship has sailed to have them back in a big way. Sadly.

TwinBahamut

First Post
I want to see talented artists who never worked on D&D products before. D&D art needs some new blood, and 4E needs a new look to seperate itself from previous editions.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
There's a core of artists I'd like to see get some of the key works of 4e.
Lockwood-great artist
O'Connor-another must see
Reynolds-let him concentrate on action scenes where he shines
Kormack (I hope that is the right fellow)-environment and monster art need him there
Di Terlizzi-never did like the style
Whelan (would he do D&D artwork?)-unsure
Pozas (although, I'd like to see him get lots of work!)-unsure

But the vast majority of the work should come from new blood. I can skim any one of about five to six major art sites or boards and come up with artists more talented than the majority of those involved in 3e-3.5e. And that's precisely what needs to be done, because there are some truly incredible artists out there who would do a great job if they were just given the chance.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
I quite like some of the better art from comic books, WoW, and anime. Seriously. :)

Of the 3e guys, I'd love to see the guy who did the covers for the Dragon Below series do more for 4e. He's amazing at doing both people and complex lighting.

Remove ads