Who in the World is James M. Ward?

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Metamorphosis Alpha was the first game I ever purchased (from a small game shop in a backstreet in London in December 1976!). I needed to learn how to draw ellipses for mapping, and my father showed me how to draw a perfect ellipse with just a ruler!

Very excited to read all of Jim's articles here. Hat tip to Yahoo Gamma World group for providing a link to this article. I was introduced to D&D by a friend in 1978. I was soon after the owner of D&D 1st edition, Metamorphosis Alpha, and Gamma World (my favorite). Sadly I no longer own the games but I have many happy memories from playing them in my teen years. Mr. Ward's creativity played a large part in my enjoyment of gaming.

Tom B1

Explorer
Let me also ask for some tales of Gamma World's invention. The game was a bit wacky (some really special combinations could arise...) and the early dice were... not the quality of later ones, let's just say. But the game itself was a huge springboard for imagination and we loved playing it.

I lament my lack of the original Deities and Demigods with the subsequently pulled content.

I met Gary one year after his separation from TSR. He wasn't what I had expected, but he sure seemed like someone I could sit and talk history or storytelling with.

I'm looking forward to your reflections. I've enjoyed what I've learned over the years about the 'old guard' at TSR and in other gaming companies of the time (GDW for one). As much as the gaming or corporate stories of the time are interesting, so is simply seeing a bit of who these luminaries whose names we all know (designers, artists, etc). It's the human stories that matter.

I once got to emailing with the creator of Traveller's New Era. I believe I actually sent him a packet of chocolate bars he couldn't get in the US that he liked. I'd never been fond of some of what was done, but in reading his reflections and in understanding the process and human factors, I found someone I genuinely enjoyed getting to know a little. And it changed my view of that part of Traveller history too.

I'm glad you are taking the time to share your experiences.

IcarusATB

Explorer
I have two. I don't know why!
Probably because the earliest version had Cthullu and Melnibonean mythos in it, which was later removed.
You ought to see if you have two different printings that have very, very minor differences … it seems like something a collector would have! :)

Remove ads